Freshwater shellfish

newtank

Reaction score
hello, maybe you guys can help, what sort of shellfish can i put in my new tank. Its a 55 gallon tank no fish in there yet so im wide open as to suggestions.

Ta

I would advise you to buy some Japonica Amano Shrimp!
They love eating algae and are easy to keep. You dont often see them cos they like to hide but its the functionality of them that make them special. They grow to about 2 inches so with luck the fish you choose would not be to interested in them but I dare say in a 55g tank you will be keeping some larger fish that would!
There are bigger shrimp out there 2 such as the mountain shrimp which I keep and I know that the singapore flower shrimp grows to 3.5 inches.

If you were looking for something a little larger maybe a cobolt blue lobster or red lobster? They grow to 5 inches and would not be botherd by many fish. Bigger still is the Blue lobster, Blue Knight lobster and Sunburst Lobster that grow to a foot long!!
It is important to remember that lobsters are fast growing and that they are semi agressive meaning if the do get a chance to catch a fish they will do so! As a rule they are 2 slow to catch a healthy fis and just cuvet them from the substrait!

As for crabs and clams I've not had crabs yet but I've had a fair few fury clams in my time!! He He :rofl:

Most reactions

Back