Freshwater Dolphin?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RachelMallory

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been wanting one for quite a while now, but never have I seen one for sale or online. Does anyone know of a vendor or an individual that can help me out with this? And I'm not exactly sure about this. Do they have the electric sensor as well? Would it be an issue to have one of them with a bgk?

How big is the tank, I don't know of any vendors but I'm guessing that "freshwater dolphins" aren't even suitable for an aquarium setup. I don't know what a mormyrus is but freshwater dolphins get fairly large, dont they

Freshwater dolphins as in Cetaceans? Mammals? You cant, illegal :/ Never heard of a freshwater dolphin as a fish species before has anyone else?

Freshwater dolphins as in Cetaceans? Mammals? You cant, illegal :/ Never heard of a freshwater dolphin as a fish species before has anyone else?
They aren't ACTUAL dolphins, there in the family of elephant noses and such. I believe some of the species get about 10 inches. For now it will be in a 55. I'm thinking about a 150 gallon tank. But I am building a big big tank so I'm not worried about size. Again, they're not real dolphins so they are legal.

Mormyrus tapirus isn't much traded. In the UK, somewhere like Wildwoods that imports wild-caught fish and oddballs regularly will probably be your best bet.

Yes, it's a weakly electric fish and yes, it'll fight with the Black Ghost.

Apart from the schooling species such as Pollimyrus spp., electric fish should always be kept singly and never with their own kind or any other type of electric fish.

Cheers, Neale

I have been wanting one for quite a while now, but never have I seen one for sale or online. Does anyone know of a vendor or an individual that can help me out with this? And I'm not exactly sure about this. Do they have the electric sensor as well? Would it be an issue to have one of them with a bgk?

Try Capital Aquarium out of Sacramento, CA. I don't know if they ship, but they do stock a lot of oddballs.

yeah. i'm in denver co so I guess I will have to see what I can do! But thank you guys for your help. I'm in a pickle. I know I have been all over the place, but now I'm kind of thinking about maybe keeping cichlids. I've seen it done before, but can you keep a bgk with cichlids? And my peacock eels. Haha I just don't know what I want to do!

Try Capital Aquarium out of Sacramento, CA. I don't know if they ship, but they do stock a lot of oddballs.

And it looks like that place in sacremento is closed!!

Sorry I haven't been there in about 3 years. I live a couple of hundred miles away.

RachelMallory said:
yeah. i'm in denver co so I guess I will have to see what I can do! But thank you guys for your help. I'm in a pickle. I know I have been all over the place, but now I'm kind of thinking about maybe keeping cichlids. I've seen it done before, but can you keep a bgk with cichlids? And my peacock eels. Haha I just don't know what I want to do!

And it looks like that place in sacremento is closed!!
i keep bgk with cichlids, but i wouldn't until you have the 150 gallon tank, you can keep alot of things in the same tank as long as you give enough space food and shelter as for the elephant nose dolphins go to liveaquaria.com they will ship them right to you

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back