Fresh Start

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dbanner

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Right so after a lot of thinking I decided to rehome my birchir and gave my Oscar to my brother who has him alone at the moment in a 500 litre... Iv still got my plec (3 inch orange spotted). What I want to do is keep channa bleheri (these seem to be the best option for my tank size and so on, found them for £12.95 each)... I know they are sub tropical and right now my tank is sitting at 20 degrees c. I also know a lot of hiding places are needed, dim lighting is preferred and they don't tend to do well later on in groups so what I wanted to do is buy a few to start (all at 3 inches) then hopefully a pair will form and I will then re home the others.... What I would like to know is how many I should get to start? I was thinking 3... Maybe 4? They will be in a 250 litre until Monday when they will be in a rio 300 (350 litre), is this big enough? Also what do I feed them when they are this small? Thanks :)

I would have thought that tank would be plenty big enough for bleheri I have kept them in smaller to be honest you could probaly go for a slightly bigger channa in there like pulchra?

Ive just got 6 pulchra and have done it before with other types, they sort out them selves into a apair quite easily once they mature

Bleheri is the only ones i can easily get hold of, I don't see this as a bad thing though as they are my 1st snakeheads so il see how it goes :) iv seen a few pics of them fully grown (or near enough) and they have some nice colours (as long as I been looking at the right ones lol) Would 3 be ok? Or would you say the more the better and let them pair? Also would you know roughly how quickly they tend to grow or would that all depend on the tank size and what they are being fed?

5 or 6 would be better they grow about an inch every couple of months max out at about 8 inch. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back