Freezing Feeder Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

street

Reaction score
i heard somewhere that freezing fish you catch overnight before you eat them kills any parasites and bacteria. does this goes the same for our predatory fish right? if i freeze the feeder fish overnight then it SHOULD kill all the parasites? quarantining the feeders takes too long and if 1 is messed up then the rest might have it too so all of its a waste. so i think freezing them might be the best thing to do. please tell me if i am wrong

I don't know the answer to your question, but what is the point of doing so? The fish will be dead (which completely ruins the whole point of live feeders) and will still have thiaminase. I would imagine you would be much better off just using frozen lance fish or silversides.

Ryan

im asking because i sometimes get a batch of feeders and 1 or so have something wrong with them so i have to always get rid of them. and i think its a waste of money to do so. so thats why i asked about freezing them. sorry but what is this thiaminase? ive never heard of it before.

Read this :good:.

In particular the following should answer your question:

some feeder fish (notably goldfish and rosy-red minnows) contain large amounts of the enzyme thiaminase. This breaks down thiamin (vitamin B1) and over time this will lead to serious health problems.

im asking because i sometimes get a batch of feeders and 1 or so have something wrong with them so i have to always get rid of them. and i think its a waste of money to do so. so thats why i asked about freezing them. sorry but what is this thiaminase? ive never heard of it before.

If you are going to freeze the live feeders, then what's the point? They will be dead. Just buy frozen sliversides or something. It will be much cheaper and healthier for your fish.

Ryan

Most reactions

Back