Freeze-Dried Bloodworms Are Bad?

MrNiceGuy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i just read this in a different thread and its been news to me. its actually the only food i've ever fed my betta. i found some betta pellets i had from years ago and started feeding them instead. surprisingly, he eats them up quickly. my bettas in the past just spit them out. so are freeze dried bloodworms a bad diet?

well i use them to feed my dwarf pukker, i think there ok...

Not as a staple, as they are high in protein and fat but not much else. However they are fine as a treat.

Sorry to hi-jack.
I heard the freezed-dried bloodworms are bad, although I feed my bettas quite a bit with them. Little amounts, never had problems so far though, their very active and aggressive. What problems might I encounter in the future?
I feed them flakes too.

Freeze dried bloodworm block them up and give them constipation..........not a good thing in a little fish!

Frozen bloodworm are better, but as with any fish, a varied diet is needed.

the problem with dried food, any food-freezedried,flake or pellets, is that as keepers we generally just put them in the water, the fish are hungry and they eat it dry. then they expand in the GI tract as they absorb water. we overfeed, as the fish seem hungry, and all that dried food expands in their digestive tract, subsequently blocking them up. which is why its good practice to feed bettas peas, to keep things moving (most use dry pellets as staple with various "treats" during the week). if you feed any sort of frozen or live food you run into less complications in the long run. it really isnt a matter of too much fat or protein, simply that it is dry and expands as it absorbs water. it is good practice if you feed any sort of dry food(freezedried, pellets and flake, in order of importance) to soak the food in a cup of tankwater for at least 10 minutes before feeding to certain fish where it may pose a problem (bettas being one due ot their short digestive tract). honestly, its better to use frozen foods (bloodworms and daphnia with bbs as a treat) as staple and feed them dry food and fiber(peas) as treats.
hope that helped.
cheers

Freeze dried bloodworm block them up and give them constipation..........not a good thing in a little fish!

Frozen bloodworm are better, but as with any fish, a varied diet is needed.

What if u feed them peas anyway, would it matter? I feed them flakes and freeze dried krill too, are those OK? I have frozen Bloodworms too but I feed them to my Catfish, Spiny Eel and Dwarf Puffer.

the problem with dried food, any food-freezedried,flake or pellets, is that as keepers we generally just put them in the water, the fish are hungry and they eat it dry. then they expand in the GI tract as they absorb water. we overfeed, as the fish seem hungry, and all that dried food expands in their digestive tract, subsequently blocking them up. which is why its good practice to feed bettas peas, to keep things moving (most use dry pellets as staple with various "treats" during the week). if you feed any sort of frozen or live food you run into less complications in the long run. it really isnt a matter of too much fat or protein, simply that it is dry and expands as it absorbs water. it is good practice if you feed any sort of dry food(freezedried, pellets and flake, in order of importance) to soak the food in a cup of tankwater for at least 10 minutes before feeding to certain fish where it may pose a problem (bettas being one due ot their short digestive tract). honestly, its better to use frozen foods (bloodworms and daphnia with bbs as a treat) as staple and feed them dry food and fiber(peas) as treats.
hope that helped.
cheers

Thanx for the very informative, helpful response :nod:

Cheers

I feed my guppies freeze dried tubifex worms but i don't just put them in and leave them. I hold the cube underwater and squeeze it so it absorbs water then i carry on holding it and my guppies eat it saturated in water straight out of my fingers.

Xxx~misscosmo~xxX

hope that helped.
cheers

thanks for the replies everyone, especially the one above ^. this is helpful.

my only question is then, isn't all fish food dry? i mean, my original solution was to start feeding my betta pellets, but they're dry as hell too. should i saturate them in tank water as well?

loraxchick nailed it. everyone else was right on as well.

pellets are not "freeze dried" blood worms. if you are using a high quality pellet (i use hikari betta bio gold), the pellets contain added vitamins, fibrous (plant) matter, and lean protein.

To compare, this would be the difference between feeding a dog freeze dried beef as a sole diet compared to a high quality dry dog food that contains many nutrients and minerals. Don't get hung up on the "dry" part of things..... freeze dried is much different.

Considering that, freeze dried foods are a great substitute food to vary the diet. Frozen or live is always better though. Simplified: freeze dried should be snacks... but even better, frozen and live are the BEST snacks (and in many instances SHOULD be a staple diet if possible). Feeding frozen/live food on a daily basis is not feasible for most though and certainly is not necessary ;)

Do i do the right thing by holding it to absorb water? I don't feed everyday with freeze-dried just once a week and they only get half of a 1" squared cube. My guppies have this "time table" of food:

Monday, Wednesday and Friday-flakes or guppy gran.
Tuesday and thursday-What ever live food i can get mostly live enriched brine shrimp for £1 from my LFS.
Saturday-Freeze-dried tubifex.
Sunday-De-shelled peas.

Is this diet varied enough?
They get a variety of flakes and diferent brands are always in my fish cupboard.
Here are the foods they get (not just flakes).

Sera-Guppy granuels.
Guppygran.jpg

Tetra-Flakes.
Tetramin.jpg

Ocean nutrtion-Community formula flakes (freshwater).
Flakes.jpg

Today's-Tubifex worms
Tubifex.jpg

King british-Algae wafers (when i get some cories)
Wafers.jpg

Frozen peas Defrosted and de-shelled.

i hade to go and get the foods out of the cupboard as i couldn't remember all the names.

Xxx~misscosmo~xxX

youre on the right track with squeezing the freezedried to get the air out, but it also takes time for the dry parts to reabsorb some water. if you dont saok the food first its like us eating oatmeal out of the box. sure its still oatmeal, but being so totally devoid of moisture, will expand after you eat it. then it swells up and youd feel REALLY full.
a bettas stomach is only as large as its eye (that's ONE eye). they only need that amount of feeod once a day/every other day. overfeeding causes big problems down the line. by allowing the food to swell to its maximum size by presoaking it, you cut the risk of overfeeding and constipation.
hope that was helpful.
cheers

My bettas only get freeze dried worms after a water change. They've grown use to that idea and it seems to have helped eleviate stress during the changes. Before doing that, a couple of them would pale up. Now they stay vivid colored and swim up for their worm. They get one worm after a change. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back