Freed from fry, gained guppy guilt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

catphish

Reaction score
As I have been posting about lately I recently upgraded my OG 20 gallon aquarium to a 29 gallon and starting over from scratch after the trial and error that was my first tank has given me such joy and entertainment.

It dawned on me this morning while I was watching my tank that I would never be rid of fry or guppies if I didn't do something drastic. I finally did what I said I would do after maybe my 5th time becoming a guppy grandmother and brought them all to my LFS. I had separated my males from my females about a year ago however as you may or may not know those independent ladies don't need a man to keep pumping out the babies at their leisure. Just keeping up with separating the fry by gender as soon as I could was becoming a full time job. I was also starting to get worried about inbreeding because I no longer had a desire to introduce any new blood into my guppy colony because I kept telling myself I wanted to get away from guppies.

So I popped them in a bag brought them to my LFS along with 1 of the three female bettas I had in my "sorority" after obsessing a little too much on whether or not I was really stressing out my ladies. I now have Ruth Betta Ginsburg in her own 10 gallon and my shorter finned super docile betta Dame Edna in the community tank.

It was weirdly emotional! I didn't realize how attached I was to those cursed little guppies or clearly my least favorite of the bettas until I saw them being floated in a QT tank at the fish store!

I was able to trade them in for a small school of emperor tetras and I think I have a well stocked tank now but I am filled with residual fishy feelings I never thought I would have.

Oh no :/ hopefully the new fish will settle in and bring a new dynamic to the tank. I still miss two fish I'd to donate. I've platy to re-home too as I too don't want never ending babies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back