Free Tank, Free Stand...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wolfwolf

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Finally after several coworkers thought they could get me a free tank one has come through. It is not as big as I wanted but free is free and I need to get my cories away from my new Kribs. I'm hoping to have it setup and running in about 3 weeks. My plan was to get my cories out of the 20 gallon tank and move them to the 29 gallon which will have a sand substrate. My 20 gallon is fairly well planted. My new tank will just have a few fake plants and a rock/cave or two.

Here is my thought: Current 20 gallon 4 ottos, 7 Serpae Tetra, 2 Kribs (wild caught male and female)
New 29 Gallon 4 cories + 2 more, 5 Tiger Barbs, 5 Zebra Daino

Questions: Are Tiger Barbs okay in a 29 gallon tank?
Should I add 1-2 more Serpae Tetras since I will take 4 cories out of the 20 gallon?
Could I add 2 angel fish in the 29 gallon tank instead of the barbs and danios?

Finally after several coworkers thought they could get me a free tank one has come through. It is not as big as I wanted but free is free and I need to get my cories away from my new Kribs. I'm hoping to have it setup and running in about 3 weeks. My plan was to get my cories out of the 20 gallon tank and move them to the 29 gallon which will have a sand substrate. My 20 gallon is fairly well planted. My new tank will just have a few fake plants and a rock/cave or two.

Here is my thought: Current 20 gallon 4 ottos, 7 Serpae Tetra, 2 Kribs (wild caught male and female)
New 29 Gallon 4 cories + 2 more, 5 Tiger Barbs, 5 Zebra Daino

Questions: Are Tiger Barbs okay in a 29 gallon tank?
Should I add 1-2 more Serpae Tetras since I will take 4 cories out of the 20 gallon?
Could I add 2 angel fish in the 29 gallon tank instead of the barbs and danios?

wow, all free? your lucky!

Well, actually I am the boss so they may be trying to score some points :lol: :D
Anyway I offered to pay but my offer was declined.

Well, actually I am the boss so they may be trying to score some points :lol: :D
Anyway I offered to pay but my offer was declined.

i see your computer is posting double like mine. Weird.

anyway, i guess its not so surprising when people are sucking up. lol jk

Just out of curiosity... How big is the tank they gave you?

When i spotted this thread on the list of new ones i was half hoping it was on the for sale forum and you were local to me :lol:

I think i need to get some new co-workers... mine have never bought me any fish stuff!

29 US gallons I think it is 30X12X18

Yes, wolfwolf, it"s a 29 US gallon tank. If you get one of those black iron stands you can easily fit a 20 gallon high (with a hood and light) underneath it. It has the same footprint as a 20 US gallon long tank.

As for the corys, it's good that you will be getting them away from the kribs, but I would rather see them in the established tank with the otos (and maybe some more corys) than with the more active fish. What kind of substrate do you have in there?

29 US gallons I think it is 30X12X18

Yes, wolfwolf, it"s a 29 US gallon tank. If you get one of those black iron stands you can easily fit a 20 gallon high (with a hood and light) underneath it. It has the same footprint as a 20 US gallon long tank.

As for the corys, it's good that you will be getting them away from the kribs, but I would rather see them in the established tank with the otos (and maybe some more corys) than with the more active fish. What kind of substrate do you have in there?

I have leopard cories. My 20 gallon tank has 3/8" smooth gravel. That is one of the reasons that I wanted to move the cories to the 29 gallon tank when it gets set up in my basement. The 29 gallon tank will have sand and be sparsely planted (fake plants). I figure that will be better for the cories. These cories have been through quite a lot. I did a fish-in-cycle with them. I did not know any better.

If I move half of my filter media and 4 cories into the new tank you think it will be hard on them? I think long term they will be happier with the sand substarte in the bigger tank with more cories to school with.

Would Angels and cories make good tank mates?

I'm not disregarding your advice I just want to give you more info since it seems as though you are very familiar with cories.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back