Frantic About My Fry

Hagrid66

Reaction score
Hiya Newbie here needing some help.
I got my fish tank for christmas and so far everythings going great.
On Saturday I bought a pregnant Swordtail andd today she's given us around 30 babies.
Do I need to do anything with the babies? E.g Food change Etc.
All I've done is put some very small fish flakes in and left them in my nursery tank.

Thanks
Hagrid66 x

On Saturday I bought a pregnant Swordtail andd today she's given us around 30 babies.
All I've done is put some very small fish flakes in and left them in my nursery tank.

Thanks
Hagrid66 x

They need to be fed on a liquid fry food, baby brine shrimp or finely crushed flakes. You also need to think about what you are going to do with them. Unless you have a very lightly stocked 400 litre plus tank, you won't be able to keep them all.

How big is your tank?

Keep the fry seperate, feed them finely crushed flakes, grated freeze dried tubifex, baby brine shrimp or liquid fry food, though i find that liquid fry food pollutes the water quickly. Feed them twice a day once in the morning and once in the evening. Don't feed to much because this will also pollute the water any left over food can be sucked up with a turkey baster. I find that a bare bottom fry tank is best as if any fry are weak you can find them easily. Hope this helps it took me quite a while to write/type.

Thanks
Hagrid66 x

They need to be fed on a liquid fry food, baby brine shrimp or finely crushed flakes. You also need to think about what you are going to do with them. Unless you have a very lightly stocked 400 litre plus tank, you won't be able to keep them all.

How big is your tank?

I've got a hexagonal 68 litre tank and have just been feeding them crushed up fish flakes.
I've arranged to give some to friends and will keep some myself.
Thanks
Hagrid66 x

Welcome to the forum Hagrid66.
You are doing fine by feeding them crushed flake food although they will grow a bit faster if you can bring in things like newly hatched brine shrimp to their diet. Another factor that affects how well fry grow is water changes. Lots of water changes to keep the water pristine seems to help speed their growth quite a bit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back