Found A Baby Platty

Ginty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
how do i care for this little fella. i brought two female plattys last wednesday. none of them look pregnant. but i found this baby today. ive noticed that of of my females is slightly red on her belly.

how do i feed the baby?

Or just crush up some normal flake food. No point in getting the liquifry food as it's a waste of money IMHO. If on of the Platys has had young then there will likely be more on the way so prepare yourself for a few more! :)

i spent over an hour searching. couldnt find anymore at the moment. but i will have another good look tonight.

do you think my fish will have more? she is very nervous, i dont want to put her in a breeding box because i dont want to stress her out. i onlygot her last week and didnt realise she was pregnant. ive put lots of artificial plants in the back of the tank so if she has more the babies can hide. she isnt that fat but shebis red on her underneath. so i guess thats the one that has had the baby

Hi there. The mom platys red belly is more to do with her colouring, than the fact she just gave birth. I have never had a platy that has given birth have a red belly. Babies are very clever at hiding so there may be a fair few who are very clever.
I use a spoon to crush flakes into a fine powder. Try to sprinkle in the areas where you have plenty of hiding places as they will then manage to feed, and stay hidden from any hungry adults. However, I find that platys will eat any and all babies even straight after they are born, and as she has birthed them in the main tank I would imagine the majority will have been consumed. So this baby is a very lucky fella/lady. Keep an eye out at water changing times, as I have found they come out of hiding during water changes and be ready with a net. I wouldn't say she still looks pregnant, but she still could have a few more in there. Maybe putting her in a hatcher for a few hours to monitor any progress she may be yet to make. Good luck

ok thankyou. well i do i have another female platty so it could of been her. they both look about the same size. how i spotred this baby is i saw my guppy sucking something in. i didnt see exactly what it was but im bow assuming its a was a baby. then i saw the little baby. spent over an hour trying to catch him and put him in the breeding box. i hope if there are other they are hiding .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back