Forktail Blue-Eyed Rainbow Fish - it's happening!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Do it. The fish shop said their water is crazy soft so the Spotted Blue Eyed were better off with me :rofl:

There's at least 3, possibly 4 species of Pseudomugil in those pictures.

One of the fish also appears to have a minor microsporidian infection (creamy/ white appearance in the muscle tissue under the skin), so make sure you have salt in the tank for at least 2 weeks (use 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water).

----------------------
The following link has information about all the known species of Australian and New Guinea rainbowfish. Check the different Pseudomugils on the list on the right side of the page.

There's at least 3, possibly 4 species of Pseudomugil in those pictures.

One of the fish also appears to have a minor microsporidian infection (creamy/ white appearance in the muscle tissue under the skin), so make sure you have salt in the tank for at least 2 weeks (use 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water).

----------------------
The following link has information about all the known species of Australian and New Guinea rainbowfish. Check the different Pseudomugils on the list on the right side of the page.

Will check the link thank you. Thanks too for spotting the issue. I added salt to the tank when they went in & will keep it up for 2 weeks.

I think I've Gertrudae, possibly Luminatus (that I mistook for Furcatus, and maybe Inconspicuous.

I think I've Gertrudae, possibly Luminatus (that I mistook for Furcatus, and maybe Inconspicuous.
I just looked at your pictures again and am pretty sure the 3 species you listed is what you have.

I have no idea how the shop mixed them up.

I just looked at your pictures again and am pretty sure the 3 species you listed is what you have.

I have no idea how the shop mixed them up.

Yeah he was very apologetic. I haven't found any other shop selling Pseudomugil so don't think they've the experience. They all hang out together so hopefully not having 8-10 of each kind won't be an issue for them.

All rainbowfish hang out together, even fish from a different Genus will hang out together. I had some big Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi and trifasciata in a tank with some Pseudomugil signifer (Ross River variety), and the male Ross rivers would show off and display to the male herbs and tris even tho they were 3 times the size of the signifers. The little signifers didn't care one bit about the size difference :)

--------------------
If you were in America I would suggest tracking down Gary Lange and getting eggs from him or someone he has supplied eggs too. However, you are in the UK and Gary doesn't send stuff overseas. But there are a couple of places that might be able to help you find rainbowfish if the shop doesn't work out.

The 2 following links are for the German Rainbowfish Association and their members might be able to send you eggs or fish.

------------
The link below is for ANGFA National, who are based in Australia but they have a magazine they send anywhere around the world, or you can get it online as a pdf. You have to be a member to get it but if you are interested in rainbowfish, these websites might be of interest to you.

Last edited:
All rainbowfish hang out together, even fish from a different Genus will hang out together. I had some big Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi and trifasciata in a tank with some Pseudomugil signifer (Ross River variety), and the male Ross rivers would show off and display to the male herbs and tris even tho they were 3 times the size of the signifers. The little signifers didn't care one bit about the size difference :)

--------------------
If you were in America I would suggest tracking down Gary Lange and getting eggs from him or someone he has supplied eggs too. However, you are in the UK and Gary doesn't send stuff overseas. But there are a couple of places that might be able to help you find rainbowfish if the shop doesn't work out.

The 2 following links are for the German Rainbowfish Association and their members might be able to send you eggs or fish.

------------
The link below is for ANGFA National, who are based in Australia but they have a magazine they send anywhere around the world, or you can get it online as a pdf. You have to be a member to get it but if you are interested in rainbowfish, these websites might be of interest to you.

Brilliant thanks for the links. I'm actually in Ireland, not UK ;) the hobby is expensive here & seems like most shops only stock what you'd expect as commonly known & popular fish.

I do think some European countries will deliver.

Love the confidence of your signifer :rofl:

I saw that my LFS has these. They're cute, but I think my water is way too soft for them. But Scotland, which is still part of the UK (unfortunately), seems to have easy access to lots of cool fish. LFS is always getting in cool stuff.

There are some big fish shops down towards in London that do a lot of shipping. If they ship fish to the North (I don't know if they do), you would think they ought to be able to ship them to the Republic.

Brilliant thanks for the links. I'm actually in Ireland, not UK ;) the hobby is expensive here & seems like most shops only stock what you'd expect as commonly known & popular fish.

I do think some European countries will deliver.

Love the confidence of your signifer :rofl:
You should breed the rainbows and other uncommon fishes so they have something different to sell. :)

I saw that my LFS has these. They're cute, but I think my water is way too soft for them. But Scotland, which is still part of the UK (unfortunately), seems to have easy access to lots of cool fish. LFS is always getting in cool stuff.

There are some big fish shops down towards in London that do a lot of shipping. If they ship fish to the North (I don't know if they do), you would think they ought to be able to ship them to the Republic.

I think the custom isn't there for the shops to branch out.

Most reactions

trending

Back