FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lexiih36

Reaction score
Edit: It solved itself already haha. It's clear and stable again. No fish deaths or signs of trauma!

Hi everyone. I have a 20 gallon tank with a few different breeds of fish in it. Yesterday while I was out of my room where I keep the tank, my 4 year old volunteered to feed the fish and dumped the entire contents of a jar of flakes AND pellets into the tank. It was basically a soup.

So I did a 75% water change. The first time I just vaccummed it out, then I added water and vaccumed some more. There was no way I could get it all out without completely recycling all the water. I did my best, but I didn't think that having to deal with water that had little nitrifying bacteria remaining was going to help the situation. I dosed with some extra aquarium salt to try and kill off any additional bacteria. I also added some quick start to encourage good bacteria to grow.

This morning when I woke up, the water was cloudy and the fish glass surfing. I plan to do a 25% water change every day and dose with Prime and stress coat. I don't know how to get rid of the cloudiness nor what I should do to prevent the fish from getting sick. I currently have a sponge filter meant for a 40 gallon, a HOB and a prefilter. Should I also dose with meds for prevention or would it be better to just keep dosing with prime to bind whatever ammonia shows up and let the filters work their magic? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I have a 20 gallon tank with a few different breeds of fish in it. Yesterday while I was out of my room where I keep the tank, my 4 year old volunteered to feed the fish and dumped the entire contents of a jar of flakes AND pellets into the tank. It was basically a soup.

So I did a 75% water change. The first time I just vaccummed it out, then I added water and vaccumed some more. There was no way I could get it all out without completely recycling all the water. I did my best, but I didn't think that having to deal with water that had little nitrifying bacteria remaining was going to help the situation. I dosed with some extra aquarium salt to try and kill off any additional bacteria. I also added some quick start to encourage good bacteria to grow.

This morning when I woke up, the water was cloudy and the fish glass surfing. I plan to do a 25% water change every day and dose with Prime and stress coat. I don't know how to get rid of the cloudiness nor what I should do to prevent the fish from getting sick. I currently have a sponge filter meant for a 40 gallon, a HOB and a prefilter. Should I also dose with meds for prevention or would it be better to just keep dosing with prime to bind whatever ammonia shows up and let the filters work their magic? Thank you!

I would just do some more water changes (once a day for a week) of about 40-50%. I wouldn’t use any meds and I wouldn’t use any stress coat either. Just water changes and prime should be okay, what fish are in there? Do you not have a hospital tank to put them in for now? (Even a plastic food grade container)

My 2 year old did the same to one of my tanks! I just sucked up and netted out as much as I could and did water changes. Still caused a massive snail outbreak, which I just couldn't get on top of. But we now have to fat Assassin snails who have sorted that out for us :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back