Fluval U3 Filter: Impeller Rattle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nmesmeric

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is my first post!

I have a new tank set up, it has been running about 6 months. 125L, with a Fluval U3 Filter.

However recently the filter stopped working after a water change. So I took it all apart to give it a good clean.

I took off the bottom section and cleaned the impeller and the area around it. However when I turned it on to check (just the impeller out of the water), it rattles as it spins and looks like it is getting caught.

Is this normal behaviour when out of the water, do I need to replace the impeller, could there be another reason for this? Maybe I need some grease to help it spin?

The filter appears to be working again now in the water, however I can't help but think the flow is reduced because of the rattley impeller.

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks,

Felix

Was the impeller rattling with no water in the filter? It will do that and is bad for the impeller.

If the impeller is rattling when there is water in the filter, check to make sure it is correctly placed in the slot, some impellers have a case around them that is slightly asymmetrical and you need to orient it correctly to get it to slide in all the way. Secondly, if the impeller is not deep enough, it can begin to oscillate up and down in the housing,which also causes a rattle and decreases the durability of the impeller. Make sure it is pushed all the way down.

There are other issues that can occur as well,these are just two common ones that come to mind.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back