Fluval Spec Shrimp Stocking?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JonE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Afternoon All

I'm getting a little 2 gallon Fluval spec for Christmas and am starting to plan what I want to do with it. I was thinking about a Betta but don't think it will be big enough, so started thinking about red cherry shrimp the tank will be well planted with a wood and or rock piece in there, how many shrimp do you think would be ok in such a small tank?

Also if I put a handfull of my new substrate in my cycled tank would that be enough to kick the cycle off in the Spec?

Cheers

Jon

Afternoon All

I'm getting a little 2 gallon Fluval spec for Christmas and am starting to plan what I want to do with it. I was thinking about a Betta but don't think it will be big enough, so started thinking about red cherry shrimp the tank will be well planted with a wood and or rock piece in there, how many shrimp do you think would be ok in such a small tank?

Also if I put a handfull of my new substrate in my cycled tank would that be enough to kick the cycle off in the Spec?

Cheers

Jon

Shrimp don't produce ammonia in the same quantities as fish, so I don't think it needs cycling. But theoretically speaking, in order to kick start a cycle, you need to bring mature media into a new tank, not new media into a mature tank. And unless you have an under-gravel filter, the bacteria don't live in the substrate anyway, so on both counts, no it wouldn't kick off the cycle.

Sorry I should have been clearer in my original post I meant I would put a handfull of the new substrate in my tank now so in 4 weeks time hopefully it would contain some bacteria, I was under the impression the beneficial bacteria lived on everything in the aquarium.

Cheers

Jon

Sorry I should have been clearer in my original post I meant I would put a handfull of the new substrate in my tank now so in 4 weeks time hopefully it would contain some bacteria, I was under the impression the beneficial bacteria lived on everything in the aquarium.

Cheers

Jon

Wrong impression, mate. :good:

In practical terms, the bacteria only live in the filter. If you put virgin media in a mature filter, with a stable bioload, there's no reason for the bacteria colonies to move. So they don't, in any significant quantities.

Far better to move mature media over, where you know that some bacteria are. You then replace the mature media in the older filter with new media, and bacteria colonies has a reason to move - to recolonise what's been taken away.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back