Fluval filter.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonathanscottlee

Reaction score
Hi anyone,

I am considering buying the above for a new freshwater tank - is there anyone out there who has one or can review one for me? Is it recommended or should I go for a different model. It looks good and does everything I need it to.

Cheers,
Jonathan

The Fluval is a very decent filter that gets the job done the way it should. It is worth every penny. It is easy to use, reliable and quiet.

But that is also less pennies then it's competitors, and you do get what you pay for. There is a lot of water bypass through the media, the plastic latches are flimsy, and the hoses are difficult to work with.

All in all I'd recomend the Rena Filstar and Eheim Classic first, but there is nothing truly wrong with the Fluval either.

Fluval filters are notoriously fiddly to get back together after maintainance and require much fussing about to get going, but once they are going they do a adequate job, like cichliadict says eheim are a far superior filter and worth spending that bit extra cash on.

My gripes with my 104 are that the hoses gunk up really quickly (hence orange goo comes out of the outlet at every restart), the intercompartmental sealing inside is inadequate so some quite large particles get past the mechanical screens and finally it's getting noiser with age (only 6 months old).

Like it's said above, they are cheaper than Eheims so you do get what you pay for.

I'm in the market for a 2nd external filter at the moment and I'm thinking of going for an Eheim Ecco... ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back