Fluval Aqua Clear Murdered my two Peppered Corydoras within 24 hours!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ahhh sorry, you took the dead fish to the LFS? I see. yeh i've bought filters before, internal ones, 'powerheads' that have a basic, under-designed intake that require a foam sleeve adding to it. ive had to fashion bits of foam myself and tie them on. shouldnt have to, like you say. when you pay for something it should be complete and do the job you need.
Yes! Thank you

Ken, I'm sorry about your fish. Losing fish is part of the hobby. Sometimes you do things right and bad things happen. There are many variables. Sure, the filter should come with a sponge. It doesn't.

I can sort of understand your anger, but you're lashing out and ridiculing people who are trying to help you. You have a lot of very experienced fish keepers here telling you that what happened to you was a very unusual experience. (I had an aquaclear HOB for a long time and I didn't like it, but the only animals it ever sucked up were mystery snails that got their bodies stuck in it, which was my fault) When someone shares something that doesn't make sense, we ask questions. Don't take it personally; we're just trying to figure out what happened because it seems like we're missing something here. Problem solving is what we do.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for here. If you're here for sympathy you'll find it; if you're here for information, you'll find that too. If you're here to find people to help you sue the company, you probably won't find that. If you're going to insult people, accuse them of dishonest motives, and call them names, you probably will find a bunch of people who will ignore you.

Ken, I'm sorry about your fish. Losing fish is part of the hobby. Sometimes you do things right and bad things happen. I can sort of understand your anger, but you're lashing out and ridiculing people who are trying to help you. You have a lot of very experienced fish keepers here telling you that what happened to you was a very unusual experience. (I had an aquaclear HOB for a long time and I didn't like it, but the only animals it ever sucked up were mystery snails that got their bodies stuck in it) When a someone shares something that doesn't make sense, we ask questions. Don't take it personally; we're just trying to figure out what happened because it seems like we're missing something here.

If you're here for sympathy you'll find it; if you're here for information, you'll find that too. If you're here to find people to help you sue the company, you probably won't find that. If you're going to insult people, accuse them of dishonest motives, and call them names, you probably will find a bunch of people who will ignore you.
Thanks. I know. I appreciate that.

I don't appreciate the touche either, though. I gotta say, that didn't help. Was that supposed to be helpful? Felt I was being "ganged up on." That said, I do apologize for reacting. Not sure why you thought it was so important to "Touche" me

Last edited by a moderator:
and I apologise for using the :sly: face

we're looking at a thread with quite a bold statement. im not sure anyone on here works at fluval, or at least no one has said that they do. but, regardless of the make. if theres a fairly reputable company making filters that can suck 2 corydoras up the intake, then, like whistlingbadger said, we're going to be asking a lot of questions before accepting it. its just unheard of. but now we know, who-ever does read this thread, will ensure they cover the intake with some sponge.

I mean, he makes a well written point. No need to be defensive, all good.

We (including you) put a lot into creating these environments to be safe for our critters, sucks when things go haywire for unexpected reasons.

Once again, sorry about your Cory's - but try not to take stuff so personally. It's just a forum after all (albeit a good one), and ultimately everyone deals with their own tank issues AND tank decisions.

It's all a learning process. 1 week in to me getting my small school of pygmy Cory's, one of them was killed by a fake plant I had gotten. Sucked.

Someone told me (on this forum) that it's easy to assume the things we get for our tanks are safe for fish, so it's better to really look things over you are considering for your tank, and think of any possible way it could harm your fish - just part of prepping for the worst.

I mean, he makes a well written point. No need to be defensive, all good.

We (including you) put a lot into creating these environments to be safe for our critters, sucks when things go haywire for unexpected reasons.

Once again, sorry about your Cory's - but try not to take stuff so personally. It's just a forum after all (albeit a good one), and ultimately everyone deals with their own tank issues AND tank decisions.

It's all a learning process. 1 week in to me getting my small school of pygmy Cory's, one of them was killed by a fake plant I had gotten. Sucked.

Someone told me (on this forum) that it's easy to assume the things we get for our tanks are safe for fish, so it's better to really look things over you are considering for your tank, and think of any possible way it could harm your fish - just part of prepping for the worst.
Thanks for the good advice.

and I apologise for using the :sly: face

we're looking at a thread with quite a bold statement. im not sure anyone on here works at fluval, or at least no one has said that they do. but, regardless of the make. if theres a fairly reputable company making filters that can suck 2 corydoras up the intake, then, like whistlingbadger said, we're going to be asking a lot of questions before accepting it. its just unheard of. but now we know, who-ever does read this thread, will ensure they cover the intake with some sponge.
Thanks man. That's really about all I was trying to accomplish I think. Lol

Sorry for causing such a stir. I apologize and thank you all for your patience and understanding. I got really mad (and sad, and and so forth and I took it out on here). Peace.

No worries, be sure to let us know how that sponge works out for ya, best of luck with everything'

Sorry for your loss of fish.

Actually any powerful filter with intake tube that has big gaps/holes has the potential to kill a fish.
Your Aquaclear 110 has a max flow rate of 1892 liter per hour.
I guess even at the minimum flow rate, the suction power will still be too strong.

Anyway, I guess the design of the intake tube is bad if you are installing it correctly.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back