Fluval Aqua Clear Murdered my two Peppered Corydoras within 24 hours!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ken Sauer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What is up with the Fluval Aquaclear 110 power filter. I have two of them in a 125 gallon tank. Within 24 hours 2 perfectly healthy peppered corydoras (which we had grown very close to) were sucked up into the filter and brutally killed. There is no warning, that I can find, in any of the packaging nor instructions about the possibility of this filter sucking up and killing fish. I even had the setting on low. and after the first murder, I stuffed the suction with sponge. It still sucked up, overnight, the other cory killing him!!! I am so angry I can hardly stand it. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 128
They shouldn't be able to suck up a living cory through the strainer on the intake tube.

I'm sorry about your fish.
I have never heard of this happening. I have an aquaclear myself, and I haven't had an issue.
Did you actually see them getting stuck, or did you just find the bodies? Is it possible they died and the filter just sucked up their bodies?

Did you actually see them getting stuck, or did you just find the bodies? Is it possible they died and the filter just sucked up their bodies?
this is what I was thinking.
If the filter is totally replacing another filter, or if any media was changed/etc the cycle could have been lost.

Here is what happened. I went to the local mom and pop fish store for expert advice. He said it happens all the time. Therefore, you have to purchase outside sponges that go over the intakes. I asked him why Fluval doesn't put them in the box or suggest buying them. His answer, 'Because they want to make more money. They don't care." He suggested I sue them or at least call the following number and demand they put this warning on the box/in the instructions. So, my fellow fish lovers, I will be calling their phone number tomorrow and demand they do this. Please join me. Maybe we can save some perfectly healthy and innocent fish, along with children and family members who mourn their violent passing (not to mention hold a company accountable that charges us a fortune for its products). Thanks and God Bless, Ken Sauer Toll Free Number, ask for Customer Service (they aren't open until Monday: 1-800-724-2436 between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. EST

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 72
I'm sorry about your fish.
I have never heard of this happening. I have an aquaclear myself, and I haven't had an issue.
Not possible

What is up with the Fluval Aquaclear 110 power filter? I have two of them in a 125 gallon tank. Within 24 hours 2 perfectly healthy peppered corydoras (which we had grown very close to) were sucked up into the filter and brutally killed. There is no warning on any of the packaging nor instructions about the possibility of this filter sucking up and killing fish. I even had the setting on low. After the first murder, I stuffed the suction with sponge. It still sucked up, overnight, the other cory killing him!!! I am so angry I can hardly stand it.
So, I went to the local mom and pop fish store for expert advice. He said it happens all the time. Therefore, you have to purchase outside sponges that go over the intakes. I asked him why Fluval doesn't put them in the box or suggest buying them. His answer, 'Because they want to make more money. They don't care." He suggested I sue you or at least call your number, which I will be doing, and demand you put this warning on the box/in the instructions. If I do not hear back from you within 24 hours, I am going to be notifying CBS and ABC News about this negligence. I worked for both in my previous career. Maybe I can save some perfectly healthy and innocent fish, along with children and family members who mourn their violent passing (not to mention hold a company accountable that charges us a fortune for its products). Thanks and God Bless, Ken Sauer I will not be giving up my pursuit in this matter.

Last edited:
These filters are great. The 110 pulls in quite a bit of water and I'd expect small fish to get stuck to the inlet as it comes out of the box.

I use pre filter sponges to avoid this. No issues in years of use with the pre filter sponge with small fish on the ac 110.

It is very likely as well that the fish died first, then got sucked up.... or was very weak where it didn't have the strength to swim away.

you say they were sucked up into the filter? Were they actually in the main filter compartment? I don't see that happening if the oem strainer is in place. I have had neons get sucked up against the strainer but not into the filter compartment.

Hmm.. That's an odd one. I love my fluval hob.

You should consider just getting an intake sponge, or what I did was just bought 2 fluval sponge filter pads (got the ones with the biggest pores I could find so as to not restrict water flow), then I cut a cross shaped slit down the inside of the sponge lengthwise, and pulled it up over the intake.

Hard to get it off and on the first couple times, but it will eventually stretch and be easier. Just rinse it out in dirty tank water during changes (helps to scrub with a toothbrush too, be sure to also get inside of the sponge with the toothbrush). My pygmy Cory's sit on top of it and pick food of it safely all the time.

Attachments

• 20201018_163302.jpg
    20201018_163302.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 52

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back