Fluval Aqua Clear Murdered my two Peppered Corydoras within 24 hours!

No. Not as sly as you think. My daughter and I bought them (ignorantly, yes) from a Petco for a 10 gallon tank. Once we started learning more about fish and Pepper Corys we began the process of seeking out 4 more. We moved the 2 to the 125 gallon tank 2 weeks ago with plans to add 4 within a few weeks (can't add too many and do too many things all at once, right?) So, **** no!!!! You are not so sly. You are just dissing on a new comer to this hobby. Fluval employee? :sly:
I just don't think we're getting the full picture, and you're lashing out at a potentially perfectly good filter.
So these two corydoras have been in a fish-in cycle, yes?

No. Not as sly as you think. My daughter and I bought them (ignorantly, yes) from a Petco for a 10 gallon tank. Once we started learning more about fish and Pepper Corys we began the process of seeking out 4 more. We moved the 2 to the 125 gallon tank 2 weeks ago with plans to add 4 within a few weeks (can't add too many and do too many things all at once, right?) So, **** no!!!! You are not so sly. You are just dissing on a new comer to this hobby. Fluval employee? :sly:
We originally took the advice of a Petco worker. And yes, it's bizarre we didn't know to do lots of research in the beginning. But, you'd think Fluval would know idiots like my daughter and I would need guidance!!!!!

We originally took the advice of a Petco worker. And yes, it's bizarre we didn't know to do lots of research in the beginning. But, you'd think Fluval would know idiots like my daughter and I would need guidance!!!!!

It sucks, times I've just ran to one of the major chain stores I've overheard so much crap advisement from the employees.. I never ask them for help, it's just like the folks at my auto parts store.. clueless (though there are always exceptions, some are real hobbyists!).

I just don't think we're getting the full picture, and you're lashing out at a potentially perfectly good filter.
So these two corydoras have been in a fish-in cycle, yes?
Does a perfectly good filter suck up and murder healthy fish with no warnings on the package, in the instructions, online, etc? Why don't they suggest (to dumb people like me--newbies to the fish hobby, unlike you) to buy a damn sponge so their product doesn't kill my fish who are so unfortunate to have a asshole like me trying to take care of them?

I'm not familiar with this model of filter as the others who have commented are. I have peppered corydoras in a tank with a fluval fx6 ..sorry, yes its a fluval, anyway.. an fx6 is an immensely powered filter, something like 2,130 litres per hour, and the intake does not have foam surrounding it, because the corydoras would not get sucked into it. No healthy fish would. And so the bigger picture we would like to see, before putting everyone off a perfectly good filter. is why was the fish so lethargic that it got sucked up into a filter?

I'm not familiar with this model of filter as the others who have commented are. I have peppered corydoras in a tank with a fluval fx6 ..sorry, yes its a fluval, anyway.. an fx6 is an immensely powered filter, something like 2,130 litres per hour, and the intake does not have foam surrounding it, because the corydoras would not get sucked into it. No healthy fish would. And so the bigger picture we would like to see, before putting everyone off a perfectly good filter. is why was the fish so lethargic that it got sucked up into a filter?

Well said. Touche!

Listen, man. It wasn't lethargic. It was "flitting around" just like always hunting, hunting, hunting for food. Swimming up and down the tank for a gulp of air--having a blast. All over the place. Happy as an clam. Just to make sure they didn't have bacteria or some other problem I took them to a local fish store which has been in business since 1979. They checked the fish. They checked the water. Perfect water. No ammonia. No bacteria on fish, just ripped up flesh from Fluval. Told by 42 year fish store owner, "This happens all the time with Fluval. You should sue them."

Listen, man. It wasn't lethargic. It was "flitting around" just like always hunting, hunting, hunting for food. Swimming up and down the tank for a gulp of air--having a blast. All over the place. Happy as an f-ing clam. Just to make sure they didn't have bacteria or some other problem I took them to a local fish store which has been in business since 1979. They checked the fish. They checked the water. Perfect water. No ammonia. No bacteria on fish, just ripped up flesh from Fluval. Told by 42 year fish store owner, "This happens all the time with Fluval. You should sue them."
Is that a big enough picture for you or do you require more?

Listen, man. It wasn't lethargic. It was "flitting around" just like always hunting, hunting, hunting for food. Swimming up and down the tank for a gulp of air--having a blast. All over the place. Happy as an f-ing clam. Just to make sure they didn't have bacteria or some other problem I took them to a local fish store which has been in business since 1979. They checked the fish. They checked the water. Perfect water. No ammonia. No bacteria on fish, just ripped up flesh from Fluval. Told by 42 year fish store owner, "This happens all the time with Fluval. You should sue them."
i'll have to take your word for it. shame about the cories, great fish. I don't work for fluval so, good look with suing them

Just to make sure they didn't have bacteria or some other problem I took them to a local fish store which has been in business since 1979. They checked the fish.
so you removed these cories, once from the 10g, into the 125g, and also for a trip to and from your LFS? why did you feel the need to have them checked over if they were behaving just fine? i'd expect them to be pretty stressed out after all that moving around.

i'll have to take your word for it. shame about the cories, great fish. I don't work for fluval so, good look with suing them
Thanks, man. I don't plan to sue. Not rich enough. I will be calling them in the morning. I wish more "fish lovers" would demand they add this warning to their product or, at the very least, throw in one of these sponges (which is worth about 2 cents) into the box with the expensive filter.

so you removed these cories, once from the 10g, into the 125g, and also for a trip to and from your LFS? why did you feel the need to have them checked over if they were behaving just fine? i'd expect them to be pretty stressed out after all that moving around.
Because, I trust this fish store. I couldn't believe it could be Fluvals fault (as you may be able to relate) so I wanted to make sure it wasn't my fault. I wan't to find out how to stop it from happening again in the future. Make sense?

Because, I trust this fish store. I couldn't believe it could be Fluvals fault (as you may be able to relate) so I wanted to make sure it wasn't my fault. I wan't to find out how to stop it from happening again in the future. Make sense?
ahhh sorry, you took the dead fish to the LFS? I see. yeh i've bought filters before, internal ones, 'powerheads' that have a basic, under-designed intake that require a foam sleeve adding to it. ive had to fashion bits of foam myself and tie them on. shouldnt have to, like you say. when you pay for something it should be complete and do the job you need.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back