Fluval 405 Filter- Impeller Cover Keeps Opening

chike87

Reaction score
I bought this filter used and have had no problems with it for about a month. Now all a sudden the impeller cover keeps popping up. I have checked both clips and they do not appear broken. I have triple check this so I do not think this is the problem. I am thinking that maybe the impeller has worn down a bit and causing the shaft to vibrate and cause the plastic cover clip to pop open. Has anyone ever had this happen to them before?? Thanks

It might be that the little rubber cap on the end of the impeller shaft is missing, that often causes a lot of movement, noise and wearing on all canisters when that happens.

Can you post a pic of the impeller cover?

Seems kind of a weird thing to happen...it simply snaps in, simple mechanism, no much that can go wrong, is there a bit of grit or gravel stuck underneath it?

it only has one rubber cap and that is at the bottom of the well of the impeller housing. The other end of the shaft goes through the impeller cover.

I have with no reply. I think maybe it could be the impeller or a worn out bushing on the cover causeing it to vibrate.

I can't see how it would vibrate out. When working correctly, the covers can be hard to un-clip to access the impeller IME, so if it's lifting off easily, I'd speculate that something isn't allowing it to seat properly on the unit... Can you post a photo of the impeller cover (both sides) the motor head (more specifically the area directly arround the impeller well), the impeller (frant back and side view), the impeller shaft and the bearing at the back (the side the impeller shaft pushes into I'm mainly interested in)?

All the best
Rabbut

Hello, old thread I know! I've got exactly the same problem! Is there a solution or a fix? Many thanks

Most reactions

Back