Fluval 306 flow rate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Buffy1977

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a Fluval Roma tank (200 litre). Iā€™m really not sure what my flow rate should be. On full, it seems kinda crazy and itā€™s pretty loud. I currently have it about half. Itā€™s breaking the surface and causing current, but Iā€™m worried itā€™s not enough.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance

Some hobbyists have somehow become convinced that they need a lot of flow through the filter. However, good filtration is about how well water is filtered, not how much or how fast we push water through the filter media. Water is often filter better at slower flow rates. The 4x to 10x 'rule' is like 1" per gallon rule (well meaning, but just not accurate).
Some are also convinced that more filtration makes for cleaner water. The truth is that filters make water look clearer, but not any cleaner. Filters trap detritus where it decomposes and pollutes the water! Clean water is really dependent on routine partial water changes.
Some add more filters but don't clean them for months! Better to routinely get the crud out of the system.

Bottom line is that if your water seems reasonably clear, your filter is doing it's job.

Some hobbyists have somehow become convinced that they need a lot of flow through the filter. However, good filtration is about how well water is filtered, not how much or how fast we push water through the filter media. Water is often filter better at slower flow rates. The 4x to 10x 'rule' is like 1" per gallon rule (well meaning, but just not accurate).
Some are also convinced that more filtration makes for cleaner water. The truth is that filters make water look clearer, but not any cleaner. Filters trap detritus where it decomposes and pollutes the water! Clean water is really dependent on routine partial water changes.
Some add more filters but don't clean them for months! Better to routinely get the crud out of the system.

Bottom line is that if your water seems reasonably clear, your filter is doing it's job.
Thank you for that.

Some hobbyists have somehow become convinced that they need a lot of flow through the filter. However, good filtration is about how well water is filtered, not how much or how fast we push water through the filter media.

Sorry, but that's a vast oversimplification of the process.

Water is often filter better at slower flow rates. The 4x to 10x 'rule' is like 1" per gallon rule (well meaning, but just not accurate).

Again so is this.

A faster, filter gets more water through your filter media quicker and in the case of detritus, it will be filtered from the water much quicker than another filter with a slower flow rate. Slower flow rates mean harmful waste is in your aquarium longer. Too slow and your biological bacteria could end up chucking out harmful toxins.

So by this logic we can get rid of filters completely and change tank water on a daily basis then? Not cleaning the filter regularly means the beneficial bacteria have longer to build up and in greater numbers. Cleaning all that "crud" out also will remove some of this beneficial bacteria that is building up. That's why people leave their filters for longer.

I would strongly disagree with this comment. I've seen a tank look crystal clear yet a number of fish died becuase nitrites and ammonia were at dangerous levels due to the filter not being matured.. The filter was doing its job to make the water clear but that's only half the story...

Its also worth remembering that many fish like increased flows and are much happier with faster moving water in an aquarium. Also, the faster the flow, the more the water moves around in the aquarium reducing dead spots which can reduce certain types of algae, plus it also helps the nutrients get to your plants (if you have them) more efficiently.

It should also be noted that you can have too much flow in certain circumstances so like everything, its vital to get a balance. The type of filtration you are using will also have a bearing on this as well as the size of the tank.

Again so is this.

A faster, filter gets more water through your filter media quicker and in the case of detritus, it will be filtered from the water much quicker than another filter with a slower flow rate. Slower flow rates mean harmful waste is in your aquarium longer. Too slow and your biological bacteria could end up chucking out harmful toxins.

So by this logic we can get rid of filters completely and change tank water on a daily basis then? Not cleaning the filter regularly means the beneficial bacteria have longer to build up and in greater numbers. Cleaning all that "crud" out also will remove some of this beneficial bacteria that is building up. That's why people leave their filters for longer.

I would strongly disagree with this comment. I've seen a tank look crystal clear yet a number of fish died becuase nitrites and ammonia were at dangerous levels due to the filter not being matured.. The filter was doing its job to make the water clear but that's only half the story...

Its also worth remembering that many fish like increased flows and are much happier with faster moving water in an aquarium. Also, the faster the flow, the more the water moves around in the aquarium reducing dead spots which can reduce certain types of algae, plus it also helps the nutrients get to your plants (if you have them) more efficiently.

It should also be noted that you can have too much flow in certain circumstances so like everything, its vital to get a balance. The type of filtration you are using will also have a bearing on this as well as the size of the tank.
Thank you. I just have no idea what to set it at. Itā€™s currently about half way on the options. I donā€™t know if I just have it breaking the water too much, and thatā€™s why it seems a little crazy.

Thank you. I just have no idea what to set it at. Itā€™s currently about half way on the options. I donā€™t know if I just have it breaking the water too much, and thatā€™s why it seems a little crazy.

Personally, I think breaking the water is ok as surface movement is fine, but rather than reduce the flow, why not adjust the spray bar/output nozzle so that its either more or completely under the water?

That should make it quieter without reducing the flow rate.

What fish have you got/plan to get?

Personally, I think breaking the water is ok as surface movement is fine, but rather than reduce the flow, why not adjust the spray bar/output nozzle so that its either more or completely under the water?

I thought it had to break the water. Itā€™s a planted tank. I have Neons, gouramis, cichlids, Corys, Plecos, plattys, frogs, bloodline barbs, whiptail catfish

I thought it had to break the water. Itā€™s a planted tank. I have Neons, gouramis, cichlids, Corys, Plecos, plattys, frogs, bloodline barbs, whiptail catfish

There are benefits to it breaking the water but I don't worry about it. There might be a little ripple from the top but that's about it.

Not sure I'd put frogs in with fish but that's another discussion. i'd move your bar/nozzle so you're happy with the noise and then see how you get on.

This is my tank currently. The output nozzles are about 4-5 inches below the water level. One of them ever so slightly ripples the surface.
IMG_5630a.JPEG

Again so is this.
Out of sight, out of mind?! Detritus in the filter is still in the aquarium system...decomposing and polluting the water. Fast water flows actually reduce the efficiency of nitrosomonas and nitrospira/nitrobacter to process ammonia and nitrites into nitrates.

Well most hobbyists have a problem with mulm even though like algae, it's pretty natural, Again, filters don't clean water, they just move particulates where we don't see them so the water looks good. Given good conditions of food and O2, beneficial bacteria can double their numbers in about 24 hours! And it's another myth that bacteria only lives in a filter - there's far more BB in the rest of the tank, especially the substrate!
There are huge fish rooms and breeder operations that run on air driven sponge filters...where water purity is based on routine partial water changes. Since filters can't make water more pure, the same is true in the home aquarium.

I guess you could think that, but then the tank/filter was not cycled. In an established tank you can totally (properly) clean a filter with no harm to livestock. I run all of my filters with foam/bio-sponge material and clean the sponges everytime I service the filters (at least weekly) without issue.

You can have good circulation without fast filter flows. Although there are some rare wild caught river dwelling fish that would prefer fast(er) moving water, these are an exception, rather than a rule. Most of the fish we see in the hobby are pond or tank bred and raised and never saw fast water. To have them live in a torrent of fast moving water because their wild cousins do just makes little sense.

We can agree on this.

Not long ago, on a FB fish forum, a proud member was displaying his 55g tank with three(3) large Sunsun canister filters underneath. I created a firestorm when I suggested he was over-filtering. He had come to believe that "There's no such thing as too much filtration". But in fact, there is! And frankly, I'll bet like many hobbyists, these filters were only serviced infrequently so all the 'stuff' stays in the system, polluting the water! A problem with water that looks clear is some think they can put off partial water changes. Fresh water in the aquarium only stays fresh when it's routinely renewed..."The solution to pollution is dilution".

I've been in the hobby since about 1965 - there are many misconceptions that keep getting repeated.

There are benefits to it breaking the water but I don't worry about it. There might be a little ripple from the top but that's about it.

Not sure I'd put frogs in with fish but that's another discussion. i'd move your bar/nozzle so you're happy with the noise and then see how you get on.

This is my tank currently. The output nozzles are about 4-5 inches below the water level. One of them ever so slightly ripples the surface.
View attachment 93942

View attachment 93942
Lovely tank. The two frogs are my little boys and we got before I really knew much of anything. Even less than now haha. But, they seem quite happy.
I will lower it and see. Thank you for the advice.

Attachments

• 7A46B8F5-4E40-4B3C-A5BF-A3C128BB3A68.jpeg
    7A46B8F5-4E40-4B3C-A5BF-A3C128BB3A68.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 108
DO you have a spray bar. If so you can have that submerged and aiming up and into the nearest wall which diffuses the flow but still give you surface agitation. Just make very sure that it is not throwing water over the back of the tank.

DO you have a spray bar. If so you can have that submerged and aiming up and into the nearest wall which diffuses the flow but still give you surface agitation. Just make very sure that it is not throwing water over the back of the tank.
I donā€™t, but I can get one if thatā€™s whatā€™s best

You can make a spray bar out of pvc pipe or black irrigation tubing. Just get a pipe that fits on or in the outlet hose on the filter, then drill lots of holes in the pvc pipe and put a cap on one end.

You can make a spray bar out of pvc pipe or black irrigation tubing. Just get a pipe that fits on or in the outlet hose on the filter, then drill lots of holes in the pvc pipe and put a cap on one end.
What kind of cap, and how do you them attach it somewhere?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back