Fluval 305

LolaLouie

Fish Addict
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
792
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
I have a 305 external filter running on my 200 litre tank. I have had this filter for around 3 months. A few weeks ago it started running really slowly so i took it apart and cleared it all out and it started runing as normal. Then a week later it started running slowly again so again I cleaned it but it is still running slowly.

I am not sure what to do as I don't think it is creating enough surface movement an also I guess it is not doing its job preperly. Also I just tested my Nitrates and they are 40ppm, in the tap they are 40 as well but I have previously always managed to lower the levels in my tank to 20 ppm.

The Media currently in the filter is:

Bottom draw: 2 x Sachets of Clearmax (removes nitrites, nitrates and phosphates.. clearly not very well!!)
Middle draw: 1 half Peat the other half Biomax Rings
Top draw: Both halves Ceramic Rings (can't remember the name)
Side draw: 4 fluval sponges

I have only recently added the Clearmax and the Peat, but the filter was not working properly before I added these. I have never changed the media other than this and have cleaned the media twice.

Any ideas why my filter is not running properly? Or tips on common problems?

Thanks (sorry for the essay!!)
 
maybe a kink in the return or drain hose.
did you clean the impellor and shaft or just the filter media?
airbubbles can cause problems, perhaps give the filter a gentle shake and see if any air comes out of the return hose.
 
I cleaned the impellor but but nothing really came out. No kinks or anything. Could it be that I need to replace the sponges?
 
nope to replacing the sponges. They will last for years.

you could remove all the filter media and try running it without anything in. Then you would know if it was being blocked by the filter material or it is something else.
Just put the filter media in a bucket for a few minutes while you test the filter.

the nitrite, nitrate & phophate removers might need to be replaced but I wouldn't bother with them personally. If you can find stuff that removes nitrates & phosphates only then that would be fine to use, but if it removes nitrites you will have to keep a close eye on water quality. If the satchet is full you will start to get a nitrite reading and stress the fish.
 
your problem could simply be a duff filter, many people on this forum have tried Fluvals and either had them leak or just fail. You really cant beat Eheims for their filtering prowess and build quality.
 
that is the other possibility, (the filter is a dud) but you should try to find the problem first. Then if you can't find a fault, take it back to the shop and get it replaced under warranty. At least if you try to find the problem you can tell the shop what you have tried and they will be more likely to swap the unit over or at least try it out.
If you do have to take it back, put the filter media in the tank to keep the bacteria alive.
 
i took one look at my fluval and it broke! i couldnt find out what went wrong didnt bother too much to find out realy i just replaced it with a rena and an eheim eco they seem to be alot better filters!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top