Flowerhorn Tank Size

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Raticataticus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello Flowerhorn Friends!

Just wondering if this is a suitable size tank for a Flowerhorn. I have googled and endlessly but everyone seems to have different opinions. Some say 50 gallons is fine others say 75 or more.

Here's the link.

http://www.hurstvilleaquarium.com.au/?p=3405

It's 240L or 63 gallons. 

I really want to get a Flowerhorn but this is the biggest that I would have the space for.

This would be for a single Flowerhorn with NO tank friends.

It's not exactly the volume of water but the dimensions that are important.
I have not kept flowerhorns though I very much want one and havn't due to not having a big enough tank.

I would not put one in less than a 75g. This is because they can get up to 12 inches, sometimes more depending on which kind.
A standard 75g is 48x18x21 inches, this allows it some room to turn around (although not enough IMO, would rather the width as 24 inches), and 4x it's length to swim across.

That tank you're looking at is 38 inches long, 18.5 inches wide, 27 inches high. So I would not put it in that tank.

That is me though, perhaps someone with more experience in FH will come along soon and hopefully is of better help to you.
smile.png

Are you very set on a FH or just want some sort of aggressive fish?

Ninjouzata said:
Are you very set on a FH or just want some sort of aggressive fish?

Not necessarily set on a Flowerhorn. Always loved Oscars since I was a kid and said that I would get one when I "grew up" but always wished that they came in prettier colours and then I discovered Flowerhorns. 

Essentially I want something that has that friendly (or unfriendly depending on your interpretation) personality that will swim to the side of the tank to see you and will follow you around and come to the top for pats. To be colourful and "pretty" would also be cool. I'm definitely open to suggestions. Perhaps there is a smaller cichlid that is similar that I don't know about.

Honestly you are going to have to rule out a Flowerhorn. Love them myself, but they grow very large and despite what you might have heard/seen what others are doing, anything less than a 75g is NOT good.

An Oscar falls in the same boat. Yes ppl get away with them in smaller tanks, but it will not thrive and be a happy fish. Honestly, I would like to see a FH or Oscar in a 125g minimum for most instances (yes I keep some cichlids in a 75).

I'm guessing you don't want Africans? they are perfect for that tank size and I still have yet to set up an African tank and yearn for one. I went the same route as you, wanting a "lone water dog" of sorts. My Oscar is hand fed when I want to. So, I get it. ... but an African tank is going to visually a blast to watch.

If you want that sort of 1 big fish in the tank though, there are good options that make sense! You can go the route of a Jack Dempsy very very comfortably in a tank that size. Very colorful fish and lots of personality. Have you seen an electric JD before? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+889+2816&pcatid=2816

Perfect for your tank.

Considered Jurupari? super fun fish to keep and personable.

Just a couple of options. I'm sure I could think of some more... but a JD would be a blast on its own!

I havn't done enough research on these yet to say they'd absolutely work, but if you can find them and perhaps if they are of interest to you..I think Red Wolf Fish are pretty cool looking.
I don't know if you'd want to try and pat them though.
tongue2.gif

ReMz said:
If you want that sort of 1 big fish in the tank though, there are good options that make sense! You can go the route of a Jack Dempsy very very comfortably in a tank that size. Very colorful fish and lots of personality. Have you seen an electric JD before? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+889+2816&pcatid=2816

Perfect for your tank.

Considered Jurupari? super fun fish to keep and personable.

Just a couple of options. I'm sure I could think of some more... but a JD would be a blast on its own!

Had a google of the Jack Dempsey, I like them but some of them are definitely cooler looking than others. 

Jurupari I am not so keen on. I really want something brightly coloured.

Ninjouzata said:
I havn't done enough research on these yet to say they'd absolutely work, but if you can find them and perhaps if they are of interest to you..I think Red Wolf Fish are pretty cool looking.
I don't know if you'd want to try and pat them though.
tongue2.gif

Googled Red Wolf Fish and got that same shiver down my spine that I get when I see gross slimy eels. Even Kuhli loaches give me the heebie jeebies a little bit so there's no chance I'm getting a wolf fish.
sick.gif

sick.gif

sick.gif

no.gif

Any other suggestions guys?

Synspilum Cichlid or Salvini Cichlid? Both are highly colorful yet would still probably fit in that tank if kept singly.

Oscarcichlid4 said:
Synspilum Cichlid or Salvini Cichlid? Both are highly colorful yet would still probably fit in that tank if kept singly.

Synspilum Cichlids seem to get even bigger than Flowerhorns, if I am not mistaken?

Raticataticus said:

Synspilum Cichlids seem to get even bigger than Flowerhorns, if I am not mistaken?
My bad, I was thinking of the color and not the fish size :/ sorry

Oscarcichlid4 said:

My bad, I was thinking of the color and not the fish size
confused.gif
sorry

Oopsie. Oh well.

Well I've got some suggestions for myself.  I really like the look of the Texas cichlid and also the Red Severum.

A Severum might not be a bad idea. Texas Cichlid I don't have much knowledge about. They are a bit on the large size for your tank though. Someone else can chime in here (I have not personally owned a severum), but I would say they aren't quite as personable as some other cichlids.

For a JD, not to say you can't go pick one out that floats your boat..... they vary greatly in coloration. Some are very bland, but most have some stunning "glitter" effect on a dark body.

I think I am set on a Gold Severum, unfortunately I don't think we have the red ones in Australia.

After reading everything above, i now feel bad about those 5-6" flowerhorns in our country being sold inside 2.5 gallon tanks and they even endorse keepers to put it in small tanks :(

Tongue_Flicker said:
After reading everything above, i now feel bad about those 5-6" flowerhorns in our country being sold inside 2.5 gallon tanks and they even endorse keepers to put it in small tanks
sad.png

sad.png
That's sad. I get so p*ssed off when I go into pet shops and see the staff giving poor advice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back