flowerhorn food?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xxaprilrose

Reaction score
So I just bought a flowerhorn and pick him up within the week. What should I feed him? I do not care about the size of the hump on his head, but I would like something that could help his color. Right now he has BRIGHT colors and I LOVE it so much. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Hello! Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't be doing my due diligence if I didn't ask these questions (that are seemingly unrelated), so please bear with me. Please provide the following:

Tank Size
Tank mates:
Water Parameters: pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate
Length that tank has been established:
Tank mates?

Your flowerhorns diet with vary to an extent based on what type of food it is accepting (flake v. pellets)

Typically, a mixture of live/frozen foods will always help increase color and health of the fish. Additionally, I would look for high protein foods that are also high in beta carotenoids. I have heard good things about Hikari color enhancing pellet foods and I have personally seen great results from the Omega One line of color enhancing foods.

I feed mine the okiko flowerhorn pellets. Although I’m going to switch to grand sumo when I run low on this batch. You can also ‘groom’ him to help with coloration and head growth (I know you said you weren’t looking for that, but they kinda go hand in hand).
And from what I’ve seen with mine, flowerhorns will eat anything…flakes, pellets, frozen, dried, tank mates…if they can eat it, they will.
423FB761-F7AB-45DE-B585-3BE619A41705.jpeg
image.jpg

I have a Blood Parrot. They tend to get paler as they age anyway... But to help keep his color as bright as long as possible... I mix in some Flowerhorn food too. I like the TAIYO AMBER MAX PRO FLOWERHORN. I mix that along with blackworm and beefheart pellets sometimes for him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back