Flowerhorn bruise spreading fast

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

yeah it’s a common pleco, sorry i forgot to mention it, i never would have thought that the algivore was gnawing at my flowerhorn, poor fish
Wow...sorry to say, another fish in a tank that is WAY too small...common plecs can grow to almost 2 feet long...unless their growth is stunted

Wow...sorry to say, another fish in a tank that is WAY too small...common plecs can grow to almost 2 feet long...unless their growth is stunted
it is around 2 feet long, i never thought they would grow that big when i first got one, i might get a taller and longer tank soon

it is around 2 feet long, i never thought they would grow that big when i first got one, i might get a taller and longer tank soon
Yep...they need a 6 foot tank, at least...it would be better to rehome the fish, if you can.
I imagine your water params aren't very good either, huge amount of bioload from these 2 fish.

It needs to be said:

If the Flowerhorn is so weak that it cannot fend of a common pleco from eating at it, it's in very poor health. While I hope you can start taking positive steps to adequately care for these fish, I am not hopeful that this flowerhorn will survive if you don't make those changes soon.

Flowerhorn's are known for being very colorful (and this one is not, likely due to stress, diet and water parameters) and very active (therefore the pleco should not bother it). While all fishtanks are boxes and restrict the movement of a fish, you've essentially put a very large cichlid (flowerhorn) in a small cage without adequate care and then tossed in a pleco that is the length of the tank -- and that flowerhorn has no where to go.

Please keep us updated on what changes you plan to make and if they increase the welfare of these fish. If you cannot make these changes I would advice donating these to your local petshop and researching/purchasing fish that are well suited for a 30g tank.

Most reactions

Back