Floating plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cromid

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 60l long, shallow and open top tank.
I have harlequin rasboras and Cory's in my tank and as I've no top, floating plants as far as I've researched are kind of a must to make the fish feel at ease.
At the moment I have some floating sal, but I am forever finding it melting away and been battered about by the filter and water aggitattion.

Is there any alternatives you'd perhaps reccomend that aren't so delicate. Or, failing that, would it be possible to remove it fully, perhaps making a mesh top, but have this not impact the fish or have them leaping out

Thanks

Floating plants have many benefits, but shouldn't not be used to replace a lid. While it may add a slight barrier, fish will still be able to jump out.

What type of filter do you use? You may need to create a wall with airline hoses to keep plants in a specific area of the tank.

Anacharis is pretty much indestructible. It can be planted or floated and grows fast.

Water sprite and water wisteria are good ones too.

You should look into a lid as well.

I can tell you my betta, shrimp, and neon tetras really like Salvinia.

I don’t recommend duckweed, as it’s more of a pest than a help. Water lettuce is also a good choice.

If you want a really fast growing, good looking floater, I suggest getting Salvinia. :fish:

Frogbit or red root floaters is another option.

My tank looks like this which is why I went against getting a lid, I liked the exposed wood. Il look into adding some tubing to stop then being blown about as much, altho I did have some and it didn't do much good. but if there's no other way to stop the salvania getting destroyed constantly il have to either remove it and try without any floating plants and add some kind of mesh

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_143316.jpg
    IMG_20200318_143316.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 149
Ah ok.

That's a sweet looking tank. Your aquascaping skills are certainly better than mine haha.

That is a very lovely aquascape, and I wouldnot want to mess things up. Floating plants are advisable in all cases with forest fish, and Water Sprite is about the best there is. Amazon Frogbit is another, and then there is Water Lettuce. These are more substantial plants and well suited here. The Salvinia can stay. BTW, this plant does go through "cycles" in many tanks, meaning it will do well for a period of months then look like it is dying off, then it will come back after several weeks. I remove any obviously dying plants but leave some and it has always come back. This actually holds for many plants.

Thanks so much guys for all the love on the tank! Really glad you like it!

That is a very lovely aquascape, and I wouldnot want to mess things up. Floating plants are advisable in all cases with forest fish, and Water Sprite is about the best there is. Amazon Frogbit is another, and then there is Water Lettuce. These are more substantial plants and well suited here. The Salvinia can stay. BTW, this plant does go through "cycles" in many tanks, meaning it will do well for a period of months then look like it is dying off, then it will come back after several weeks. I remove any obviously dying plants but leave some and it has always come back. This actually holds for many plants.

Perfect thanks so much, il maybe look into getting some of the more substantial plants then. It's good to know that Salvinia has periods like that. I was assuming I had done something wrong and that's why it was dying off.

Perfect thanks so much, il maybe look into getting some of the more substantial plants then. It's good to know that Salvinia has periods like that. I was assuming I had done something wrong and that's why it was dying off.

There can be something wrong of course, but I would not jump to that conclusion, as it may just be the resting phase.

I find that Salvinia is a super good, fast growing floater. I really like the look of it.

I didn't see the pic of your tank, but there's a floating plant I love to use that often gets forgotten. It's Brazilian pennywort. I usually tie it with fishing line to stay along the front or back so it doesn't block light, but I keep it floating and it makes a nice canopy quickly. It grows like a long vine, so doesn't move all over. It will grow emersed on tall driftwood or the edge of the tank.

Attachments

• 20200502_180233.jpg
    20200502_180233.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 141
I didn't see the pic of your tank, but there's a floating plant I love to use that often gets forgotten. It's Brazilian pennywort. I usually tie it with fishing line to stay along the front or back so it doesn't block light, but I keep it floating and it makes a nice canopy quickly. It grows like a long vine, so doesn't move all over. It will grow emersed on tall driftwood or the edge of the tank.
I have several types of floating plants in my tanks but have not tried pennywort does it need any special care? I like the "canopy" does the roots hang down much? I just ordered 2 frogbite to try out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back