Floating Algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vendetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a problem in my 40ltre tank with what looks like some kind of floating algae. I recently added an air stone and since then I have all this detrits floating around and hazing the water. It's not green but whitish. As I have had great sucess removing all kinds of algae from my 3ft tank by adding hydrogen peroxide to the water I thought I'd give it a go with this one but so far no joy, which makes me wonder if it is, indeed, algae. The tank is quite heavily planted and this stuff seems to stick to the leaves and stems giving the plants a fluffy look.
I have done countless large water changes and it seems better for a day or so then it's back with avengance!
Anybody have any ideas what this is and how to get rid of it?

A picture would speak a thousand words here, although white algaes are unusual. There are the staghorn algaes though, which can be white.

Otherwise, it could be a fungal thing.

Final option would be some of the blue green algae group, a few of them lack pigments.

Unfortunately I can't post a pic at the moment as I'v just done another large water change and it looks more or less clean. All I can tell you is it looks like a snow flurry. The bits are of a fluffy looking nature with no particular shape or size. When I turn the pump off for a few minutes to feed it gets really bad then clears up a bit after the pump's been running for about half an hour. In case you're wondering why I turn the pump off to feed it's because my fighter can't catch his food otherwise and it really annoys him, lol.
I'm having to clean the pump sponge every other day and it's always gunked right up with a green algae that's not noticable in the water. The tank gets no natural light but is overstocked due to my not realising how readily guppies breed! The numbers are coming down since I separated the boys though, thankfully.
I don't know if it is something to do with the addition of the air stone but this did start as soon as I put it in...

Air stone could be flocculating some protein in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back