flag fish in my nano tank are mating today

Magnum Man36 150

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,650
Reaction score
6,912
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
female looks to be more plump… I think they have a nest in the hair algae at the back of the tank, behind the sponge filter… maybe I’ll see fry in there as well, in a few weeks???

IMG_9347.webp
 
Congratulations @Magnum Man! Do you have a grow out tank for the fry? I bet some fellow hobbyists would love to get a few. Good luck!
 
I’ll move them in with the group, there is a lot of cover in both tanks, so hopefully they don’t get munched too soon, by their parents…
 
I’m a little “corn fused”… the female hangs closer to the nest with this pair.. l. I’ve always heard the male took care of the eggs… they did change places during feeding, so she could, but after she had her fill, she went back to the nest… I can’t see any eggs, as the algae is too thick on the back side of the tank, where their nest is, but I’m guess there is eggs by their actions… here is no one else in the tank, so no need to guard the eggs… I didn’t notice in my reading how long before the eggs hatch???
 
I think....it depends on the temperature and lighting. Water parameters could also be a player. I base this on what I experienced as a hobbyist not scientific method. Look for them to free swim in about a week to ten days. Some reports says it takes two weeks but I never experienced that length of time. Can you look down into the bowl or through the side to see any eggs? Try using a flashlight. Your female might be laying and then eating the eggs. I had that happen if the parents are not removed. Or she could just be laying eggs over a period of days which I have seen. There is the interminable debate whether the parents nest guard. In my personal experience the answer is yes and no. Some of my males did for a short time (day or so) and others didn't. In any case, I would remove the parents if you see eggs.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top