Fishtank Light Problem

Gj79

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had a Boyu HX 1000 aquarium for years but now have a problem with the lights. The electric circuit that the sockets are on in my house keep on tripping and it took a while to pinpoint it but it's down to the fishtank lights. So right now I have no lights in the tank and not quite sure what to do about it. The fact it kept tripping would indicate its got a fault and potentially unsafe. I've changed the fuse in the actual plug and will try that when I can be around the house for a few hours. I'd be paranoid that something was going to happen if left unattended as would guess the fuse wouldn't be the real problem.
1) does anyone know if an electrician would be able to get it working properly again (the light still works but obviously there's a problem somewhere) the design of this lid isn't great and it's a bit of a hassle to get it off as it incorporates the filter, pump and lights. I've only done it in the past to put new bulbs in when the last one goes. Has anyone on here had light issues repaired before?
2) would anyone know where I can get a complete new lid for this model? Unlikely I know as must be out of production.
3) are there any alternatives for a new lighting source if I just don't use the inbuilt lights? Tank size is about 100cm x 40cm x 45cm.
Any advice welcome as dont want to have to buy a new tank. Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Greg

Hello,

This one should be relatively easy to fix... I'm not familiar with this specific tank, but have seen some wiring "nightmares" on other makes of tank.

As the tank is a few years old, I'd be suspicious of either wiring insulation integrity (crushed wires, poor wiring terminal separation etc.) or moisture ingress.

Is your earth leakage breaker (main trip) tripping or is it a specific circuit breaker??

As you are potentially mixing electricity with water, I would ensure that the lighting for the tank is unplugged... **not** just switched off.

You don't really need an electrician to sort this.. just someone who **is** competent with electronics/electrical circuits. Do you know anyone who repairs vintage TV/radio etc.. At a pinch, ask at your local TV repair place.. This will be well within their capabilities. If they don't want the work, then they should be able to recommend someone.

Any problems then just ask..

bodge99.

Hi Bodge99,
Thanks for the advice. Yes it is the main trip rather than individual one that goes. That's why it took a little while to work out it was the fishtank lights but i went round putting things on individually and it went as soon as i plugged it in. Originally I thought it must be moisture getting into the outside plug for the pond. I do have it unplugged now by the way to be on the safe side.
I had a look through the air vent tonight and there is definitely plenty of moisture in there. Not sure how it gets in there. I'm used to seeing water dripping from the actual lights in the tank but wouldn't have thought it normal to have water in the electric compartment above.
For the last 6 months or so I've had the heater in there on a higher setting than usual as I read Mollies do better with a slightly raised temperature. Probably not related to the problem as it would have happened before now if linked but may cause quicker evaporation but again should only mean it drips from the lights, not getting into the main body.
My father in law is handy with this kind of thing so I'll let him have a go when next here. Anyway it was good to hear that this sort of thing can be fixed rather than scraping the whole aquarium. As much as I don't like the way the filter and lights are set up I could do without the hassle and expense of a new one.
Thanks again
Greg

Greg,

You seem to have an electrical leakage problem caused by moisture ingress. Please treat this as potentially serious but easily fixable. It will only take a very small current leakage to earth for your main trip to go.

You need to determine how the moisture is reaching the electronics... most integrated hoods rely on a physical moisture barrier. This is normally something like a clear plastic screw mounted splash cover which may have a rubber sealing strip. Typically, either fixing screws are lost or the sealing strip ages and loses its effectiveness. Either of these can allow moisture into the "dry" areas.

The former is easily cured by searching your local hardware store or Ebay for suitable screws. (try looking for No.4 [possibly 20mm or so] self tapping screws. Stainless steel is essential.)
The seal problem can normally be cured by smearing a thin film of food grade silicon grease (Ebay is your friend here) onto the seal before reassembly.

I suggest that you strip the hood down and give everything plenty of time to dry out. Examine the hood carefully for any signs of physical damage (cracks in the plastic, sealing bungs or grommets missing etc.). Fatigue cracks in the plastic can be sealed with silicone sealant/superglue/epoxy, depending where they are.

If, after examination you decide that you cannot stop moisture ingress then you could consider either moving the electronics into an external box or modding an existing unit. See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AQUARIUM-REPTILE-LIGHT-STARTER-UNIT-14-15W-18-20W-25-30W-40W-/300784969099?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item46082e658b for one type... there are many more available.

I've done exactly this on a couple of Orca tanks. All worked out OK..

Good luck.

Bodge99.

After getting the tank lid off and opening it up it was clear a lot of moisture had been getting in. One of the light fittings itself had also corroded where water from the filter was actually going on it on its way back into the tank. Very poor design. I was planning on having to replace the fitting as well as the damaged starter units in the electrical compartment for each of the 3 lights. Luckily though the shop I bought it at 6 or 7 years actually had a spare lid for a hx 1000 in their storeroom. It was a later model version though and has a plastic case around the lights and a filter system change too so they must have realised the flaw of the last design. Very pleasing outcome and happily pay out the £65 price for the quick hassle free fix! Let there be light :)
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.
Greg

Glad that you have got it sorted...

All the best!

Bodge99

Most reactions

Back