Fishless Food Cycle: Nitrites Aren't Rising

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Issa2488

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I want to make sure everything is going right in my tank. The nitrites aren't rising while the ammonia level is stuck at the same ppm. Is it normal for this to be happening or am I doing some wrong??

Here is the journal I'm keeping:

Fishless cycle

Tank was set up a week before may 28th. I spent the week looking everywhere I could think of for the ammonia but I couldn't find it. So I just decided to go the food route. My tank came with a sample size of food so I used it.

May 28th--ammonia is 0.25ppm
May 29th--added fish food
May 30th--added more fish food
May 31st--more fish food
June 1st--check ammonia--0.50 ppm
June 2nd--more food
June 3rd--more food
June 4th--more food
June 5th--added rest of food
Ammonia--2.0 ppm
June 6--ammonia--4.0-5.0 ppm
Nitrite--0 ppm
June 8--ammonia--darker than 4.0 ppm, not quite as dark as 8.0 ppm; Nitrite still 0 ppm
June 10--ammonia--darker than 4.0 ppm, not quite as dart as 8.0 ppm; Nitrite still 0 ppm
June 12--ammonia--darker than 4.0 ppm, not quite as dart as 8.0 ppm; Nitrite still 0 ppm

It is recommended that you should go no higher than 3.0ppm, any higher can slow the process. I would recommend you do a water change to bring it back down to around 3.0 ppm. Using this chart will hep in doing so.  
awing%20and%20a%20prayer%20small-S.jpg

You cannot control the amount of ammonia in your water with fish food. It's much better to use bottled ammonia. If you have not read the cycling guide on this forum, please do so - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/ It's the best guide on the internet in my personal opinion.

Over 6.4 on an API type kit will work against you. Bacteria that work best at levels you wont have longer term would be most likely to colonize or else nothing might happen until ammonia drops back in the range typical of water system nitrifiers.

Flakes are the absolute worst way to produce ammonia. A piece of raw shrimp or fish is far better. Flakes have too little organic material compared to shrimp (fuish)

There is no reason not to be able to find ammonia in the UK. The fishless cycling article here has a link to threade on where to find it http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/38840-ammonia-sources-in-the-usa-uk/

Hi. I see this is your first post. Glad to see you on the forum. I'm new to the forum as well. Wanted to throw in two quick thoughts....

1) You've obviously done some research and chosen to go with fishless cycling. Cool. Bummer you couldn't find ammonia. Maybe the link above will help you track it down, but if not, there's lots of great folks here and someone probably knows where you can get it in your area without a lot of fuss.

2) The food you put in the tank will take time to decompose and produce ammonia. The ever increasing ammonia readings are likely a cumulative result of the early food decomposing and the increasing additions of food all in various stages of decomposition. I bring this up because even if you find and decide to switch to ammonia, you will still have food decomposing in your tank and introducing additional ammonia. So I think I would do water changes, and a gravel vac or two, until you get a stable ammonia reading in desired levels. Then choose your next move. Either way, if ammonia is too high, as folks have already said, you'd be working against yourself.

yinyangpete said:
Hi. I see this is your first post. Glad to see you on the forum. I'm new to the forum as well. Wanted to throw in two quick thoughts....

1) You've obviously done some research and chosen to go with fishless cycling. Cool. Bummer you couldn't find ammonia. Maybe the link above will help you track it down, but if not, there's lots of great folks here and someone probably knows where you can get it in your area without a lot of fuss.

2) The food you put in the tank will take time to decompose and produce ammonia. The ever increasing ammonia readings are likely a cumulative result of the early food decomposing and the increasing additions of food all in various stages of decomposition. I bring this up because even if you find and decide to switch to ammonia, you will still have food decomposing in your tank and introducing additional ammonia. So I think I would do water changes, and a gravel vac or two, until you get a stable ammonia reading in desired levels. Then choose your next move. Either way, if ammonia is too high, as folks have already said, you'd be working against yourself.
Yes this is my first post. I went online looking for help and I came across this board, so I created an account. Thanks for responding. I'm going to do the water and gravel change. I will take a look at the levels of ammonia/nitrite.

Also, I am in the US not UK.

Update: Thanks to everyone who commented. I finally got it cycled and bought a fish. It is a red, male betta. 

Thanks again for the responses.

Attachments

• BigRed.JPG
    BigRed.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 154
Yaay, congrats on your successful cycle, did it all go to plan?

Red Betta sounds really nice, any chance of a pic :) 

Most reactions

trending

Back