Fishless cycling a blackwater tank. Combo fishless/silent cycling?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Seisage

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have some questions regarding cycling a tank characterized by a lot of tannins and low KH and pH.

Iā€™m working on setting up a biotope tank with these conditions. Iā€™ve read through the fishless cycle guide here on the forums and Iā€™m pretty familiar with the nitrogen cycle as a scientific concept. However, in reading the guide, I see that pH below 7.0 can notably delay the cycling process. Of course, that is at odds with the biotope Iā€™m going for. What would be the best practice for cycling a low pH tank? Should I establish the cycle and then add the wood and leaf litter? Seems counterintuitive and I suspect a change like that would throw things off.

The tank will be planted, but not extremely heavily. Iā€™ll only have floaters (frogbit and water lettuce) and while theyā€™re fast-growing, thereā€™s only so much volume they can attain before running out of surface area. So, while I could try a silent cycle, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d have enough plant biomass for it. Plus, itā€™d be great if I could add a full tetra school at once instead of having to wait a week or two between additions of 3 fish at a time.

Would a combo of the fishless/silent methods work out? Maybe follow the fishless method, but dose lower ammonia as to not damage the plants?

Other relevant information:
-Tap water pH: 7.2
-Tank pH with tannins is unknown (holiday traveling has halted tank setup). Probably shooting for somewhere between 6.5-6.8. Exact GH and KH currently unknown for same reason, but hardness in my area is around 20ppm
-I do have an established 5.5gal I just adopted from someone. I could transfer some of the substrate to seed the new tank, but I donā€™t have a ton to work with, plus itā€™s got a lot of detritus and detritus worms (maybe thatā€™s a good thing?) Canā€™t transfer filter media. Itā€™s one of those cheap little internal filters with replaceable filter cartridges. Maybe I could replace the cartridge and put the old one in the new tank?

You are probably correct in concluding you don't have enough plants to silent cycle. It takes a lot.
Rather than ammonia, which can damage plants, I would use the old filter cartridge and the substrate from the small tank. A gentle rinse with dechlorinated water should get rid of a lot of the debris without harming beneficial bacteria.

You are probably correct in concluding you don't have enough plants to silent cycle. It takes a lot.
Rather than ammonia, which can damage plants, I would use the old filter cartridge and the substrate from the small tank. A gentle rinse with dechlorinated water should get rid of a lot of the debris without harming beneficial bacteria.
Perfect. Should I try to use all of the substrate from the small tank? It is planted, so I donā€™t think Iā€™d feel comfortable taking it all. The new tank is also 25gal, so quite a bit larger. Would a couple handfuls of the old substrate be sufficient?

Regarding tracking the cycle, if I donā€™t add ammonia myself, what would a good testing schedule look like? Every few days like the fishless cycle method or just wait until I see significant plant growth and then test and follow up with an ammonia challenge? Would I still have to follow the 1-3 fish at a time guidance for the silent cycle?

Would a couple handfuls of the old substrate be sufficient?
Yes, along with the filter cartridge.
what would a good testing schedule look like? Every few days like the fishless cycle method or just wait until I see significant plant growth and then test
Wait two weeks and ensure the plants are growing (photos help spot growth). Then add the cartridge, substrate and a few fish and test. Do a large water change if ammonia or nitrite show. Not 1-3 but a species group so they settle quickly which is less stress for them. So if you were going to stock 10 cories, 10 rasbora and 10 pencil fish; you add a species group of 10, monitor for a week or two, then add the next group of 10 etc. ( You should consider quarantine wherever possible).
Don't bother with ammonia as the fish provide that.

When I have done this I see nitrite once fish go in so I do 1 or 2 water changes but the tank then cycles within a few days.

low KH can stall the cycling process due to the filter bacteria using small amounts of carbonates to grow.

I've noted before I don't cycle tanks with ammonia etc, because I have very soft water and filters I can move from tank to tank to spread what bacterial wealth I need.

I am curious though, as a no test kit aquarist. Since my issue is far less toxic ammonium and I do weekly water changes to keep my fish healthy - how does the fishless cycling concept affect those of us with soft, acid water? Ammonia versus ammonium?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back