Fishless cycle stall - Start again or wait?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ShaylaM

Reaction score
I've been doing a fishless cycle on my marine tank, Didn't pay a lot of attention to it at the start because of work. But I mean it's a fishless cycle so I wasn't going out of my way to make sure everything was perfect, my fault really. Anyhow the first 3 weeks it did barely anything, from the starting parameters the ammonia didn't noticeably go down, nitrate and nitrite went up a tiny amount, I'll list below in more detail, I come to the conclusion that I had overdosed with the dechlorinator and it had been the cause of the stall in cycling, I introduced more bacteria on Day 21 but the results I don't think are what should be expected, the ammonia finally went down but the nitrates are the same and nitrites have actually went down. Sort of at a loss at what to do, with a fishless cycle should I not dechlorinate the water at all while it cycles? I did add too much at first as I failed to take into account the rocks and sand and dosed to the tank size.

Haven't done water changes just topped it up every 2 days due to evaporation, ends up being about 10% each week

Starting Conditions/Tap Water Parameters:
Temp 24C - 75F
Dry rock
Natural aragonite coral sand
Good water agitation
Filter sock removed
Light not in use
Protein Skimmer removed
PH: 8.2
Alkalinity: 9dKH
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nitrite: <1
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
Comment: Dosed 80 drops ammonia = Ammonia 2ppm

Day 21 (Added in more bacteria at this point):
Nitrite: 0.1
Nitrate: 2
Ammonia: 2

Day 28 (7 days after introduction of bacteria):
Nitrite: 0.05
Nitrate: 2
Ammonia: 0.8
Comments: Dosed ammonia to bring it back up to 2ppm, Increased water temp to 28C or 82F

Had a little stall with my cycle.

As advised here I increased the temp to 28 c and added an air stone.
Got it going again.
Didn’t use any bottled bacteria though.

Update on the cycle,

Day 40:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: Way off the charts (tops at 1)
Nitrate: off the charts (tops at 50)
Comments: Dosed ammonia to bring it back up to 2ppm

Should I be concerned about how much nitrites and nitrates there are? also once the tank has finished its cycle, If I don't add fish in right away will I need to continue dosing ammonia?

Do a 90% water change and stop adding ammonia.

If there is a nitrite reading between 1-3ppm, then don't add any ammonia. If the nitrite level goes too high (above 5ppm) it can stall the cycle.

Don't bother testing for nitrates until the tank has finished cycling because nitrate test kits read nitrite as nitrate and give you a false reading.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back