Fishless Cycle - Results So Far

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well touch wood you'll be done, just keep it up for a few days more so you can be certain then you can go get some fishies :good:

Bugger.....

Day 41 (Friday 23rd May)

Tested Ammonia at 8.00am
Ammonia: 0.00ppm
NitrIte: 0.00pm
NitrAte: 20>
PH: 7.09

Tested Ammonia at 8.00pm
Ammonia: 0.00ppm
NitrIte: 1.00ppm< so its still not there :(
NitrAte: 40 ppm
PH: 7.20

So I'm off to bed but it looks like the NitrIte will be gone by 2am at the latest which implies its processing in 18 hours or so. Whats my next steps guys? Do I continue adding ammonia until both ammonia and nitrIte process in 12 hours or do I start to mid stock the tank (15-20 tetra's and 6 dwarf cichlids)? Any advice is appreciated as always!

Thats a difficult question, Stormy. You are getting into the territory of the unknown.

I think its a judgement call, and i personally think it would be fine so long as you are careful with your stocking (what you suggest above looks fine).

On the other hand, waiting those few extra days would make absolutely sure.

Up to you though, mate.

Cheers :good:

BTT

Thanks BTT, I was hoping to start to stock the tank on Sunday/Monday so I have a few days yet...... maybe, just maybe it will start processing within 12 hours by Monday AM..... night all :)

Need a drink so thought I would do a quick test lol

9pm NitrIte 1.00ppm<
10pm NitrIte 1.00ppm<
11pm NitrIte 0.25ppm
12am NitrIte 0.25ppm<
12.45am NitrIte 0.00ppm :D

So its currently taking under 12 hours for ammonia to process and under 17 hours for NitrIte to process..... at least I know where I stand within a 24 hour period at the moment!

yeah it's really your judgement call to make tbh, have a read of the topic 'when is a cycle finished' in the scientific section which may help you make the decision

If you are processing 4ppm ammonia into nitrate in 24 hours or less you are good to go. I haven't done a fishless cycle in years, the last was on a 65 gallon, in '04. Once it was processing 4ppm ammonia in 24 hours I stocked that baby up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back