Fishkeeping With A Disability

sic0198

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've been dealing with the hobby of fishkeeping and having a disability. I am 100& certain I can excel at this hobby. I have a rectaqngle shaped 29 hallon covered fish tank, it sits on a stand. I have a disability which renders me with almost no coordination and I can't walk, I have close to zero balance. I can however use ny arms, hands and can sit up.

I'm just trying to get some info. I'm having problems with maintenance. Do any of you know the easiest most practical way to do this. I'm wanting to talk with fishkeepers that has a disability like mine, maybe I can get tips and how tos from you.

Also I wanna know if someome can link me ta stand or someone to make a custom stand that can be lowered down to the level [of someone in a wheel chair] for me to clean it.
 
Wow, that sucks. For water changes, instead of dumping buckets of water in the tank, you can get a python that moves the water fromt he faucet into the tank ( im pretty sure it has a area for carbon to dechlorinate the water). I have never bought one before, never wanted to spend the money on it ( to young to get a job yet).
 
To lower the tank, you could put it on a coffee table. I used to keep a 30-gallon on an old coffee table placed against the wall because it made the tank low enough for my son to easily see it when he was young.

I guess you use a wheel chair? Hopefully that would lower the tank enough to put your arms in while seated. Good luck to you, where there's a will there's a way.
 
To lower the tank, you could put it on a coffee table. I used to keep a 30-gallon on an old coffee table placed against the wall because it made the tank low enough for my son to easily see it when he was young.

I guess you use a wheel chair? Hopefully that would lower the tank enough to put your arms in while seated. Good luck to you, where there's a will there's a way.


I wanted something that would lower it temporarily, but I don't see why I couldn;t do it perminent. Good Idea, thanks.
 
it's a real bugger being a disabled fish keeper i myself have MS and have mobility problems and problems with my arms/hands etc but i am lucky i have my husband to do all the water changes now i have the larger tanks . i try to do everything else cos this is my project thought i can put things in the tank very well i supervise and shout where its goto go cos even when i can stand ok with my stick i'm only 4 ft 11 and cant reach down the bottom of the 180ltr tank .
When i had my small 30l tank i used to do the water changes in 2 lots , i'd take 5 out and then put 5 in then leave for half an hour and do the same , i never had any problems doing my water changes that way i could get the bucket easily on my knee ( walk with a stick most of the time but need wheelchair quite often) I dont know wether this would be of help to you to do it that way just a thought

Take care Sarah xxxxxx
 
Thanks sarah.

I get my mom to do, but I really wanna do it myself as it is my hobby.
 
A good friend of mine, and fellow angel breeder, is retired on disability. He has a serious inner ear problem, he can't bend down, or even tilt his head too far without severe vertigo. If he tilts his head sideways even a little, as someone might looking around a corner, he totally loses balance.

He has somewhere near 30 tanks running, and having the time for maintenance most often puts the quality of my angels to shame. His setup is near the opposite design of mine, which is really vertically oriented, taking up very few square feet of floor space. His is spread out, all the tanks, brine shrimp hatchery, everything, at the same level. If he is running his setup with his disability, there is no reason you couldn't do the same, just with stands at a lower level.

The python is an excellent idea, if moving full buckets is a problem a small pond pump attached to a hose will move water from bucket to tank, tank to bucket, bucket to sink, wherever you need. I do something similar now with a large garbage can, small sump pump, long hose to drain & another hose to fill.

I have various siphon tubing & pvc gadgets to make water changes easier, I could post pics if you like. I completely stole this idea from my disabled aquarist buddy, I have to give credit where credit is due.

I'm in the process of drilling tanks right now, an option to the self siphoning overflows in that link. I should have them running to a sump soon, hopefully in a week. This eliminates the draining, just fill with a hose. This might be another option.

There are many many options for folks like you, as well as Sarah, that have been used by other aquarists with disabilities, or can be modified a bit from existing ideas that folks with many tanks use. At 48 I'm one of the younger breeders in the club, there are plenty of guys who are up in their years who have to modify their setup, maintenance tools, or routine to accommodate the effects of age. I see this, realize it, and am trying to get a jump on it.

You just have to get your gear set up in a way that works best for you. Everyone with a larger setup generally works that way. I would find it a pain working my buddy's setup, too spread out for multi tasking. He obviously couldn't work my setup. Someone who weighs 300 pounds would have a hard time with my fishroom, as would someone who is 5'4".

Everyone has strengths & weaknesses, design your setup around these, and you will be just as proficient an aquarist as the next guy. I'm busy upgrading my setup, and perhaps chasing my tail, trying to catch up to a breeder who is better than me, but considered disabled.

Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions, there is no reason you can't have as nice a setup, or as enjoyable a time with aquatics than anyone else.
 
He has somewhere near 30 tanks running, and having the time for maintenance most often puts the quality of my angels to shame.

WOW, i havent seen angels any better than the ones i got from you. I would love to see his! I couldnt imagine anyone putting yours to shame, but i suppose anything is possible.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top