Fish with no eyes

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tracy83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi again ,, one of my fish has lost both his eyes ,, all my other fish seem fine ,, I have been googling what to do and most sites say I should kill the fish ,, he I'd still swimming round ,, bumps into things now and again but seems ok ,, I really dont want to kill him ,, but dont want to keep him alive if its cruel to do so ,, what do u think I should do xx

Colin asked good questions.

For a fish to lose both eyes, there must be something serious happening in your tank.
It's either there is an aggressive fish picking on your other fish or some serious diseases.

Anyway, once a fish lost its both eyes, it can be difficult to save.

I dont exactly know ,, I think it was due to an ammonia spike a couple of weeks ago I lost a few fish ,, it's a red eye tetra ,, I have guppies ,, swordtail , albino shark and African dwarf frogo

Also everytime I do a part water change like 10% water change my tank goes super cloudy ,, I have seachem ammonia thing in tank showing no signs of ammonia

What is the tank size? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

Tank is 25 gallon showing no signs of ammonia on seachem ammonia dial showing 0 nitrite .

Id be looking at the albino shark then. They need a 55 gallon or larger and they can get aggressive as they get larger. Its very possible in the smaller space, he attacked your tetra.

Id be looking at the albino shark then. They need a 55 gallon or larger and they can get aggressive as they get larger. Its very possible in the smaller space, he attacked your tetra.
He does seem to have skittish fits ,, but never really touches other fish ,, swims round like a loon for a couple of mins ,, then chills and goes back in his plane ,, that he shares with the frog ,, I am wanting more tanks ,, I have a fry tank and a tank with 2 jack dempseys ,, it's just getting so expensive ,, also do u know why my water turns cloudy after a small water change , i have small gravel substrate ,, my other tanks dont do this ,, it is doing my head in ,, thanks for replys xx

that I'm not sure.

Could you take a photo of the tank?

Sharks are largely nocturnal, so you may not see him going after fish

That's the shark next to his plane ,, I do see him quite alot through day sucking on plants and glass and everything else lol ,, dont go to bed till about 1 ,, never seen anything ,, I also put red light on from 9 till I go to bed.

Attachments

• 15942344941515216157378223361291.jpg
    15942344941515216157378223361291.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 54
What is the total stock of this tank?

Species of fish and numbers.

I would euthanise the red eye tetra. It is a schooling fish that uses its eye sight to keep in contact with other red eye tetras. Being blind is going to stress it out a lot.
What is the best way to do this plz

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back