Fish that can live with Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

RainGamma

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
my Betta fish is pretty nice and doesnā€™t chase any of my ghost shrimp in my tank though he is curious. Iā€™m just wondering if there is any other fish I can put with my Betta (I have a 20 gallon long). Right now I have a Betta and 5 ghost shrimp.

Assuming the Betta is a male, then no. Male bettas are not community fish and should be housed on their own. It is normal for the Betta to consider other fish as intruders, and in reverse many of the small shoaling fish can become fin nippers in the presence of a Betta. So in the interests of being kind to the fish, don't risk it. :fish:

I used to have my male Betta in a 10 gallon tank with lots of plants for hiding places. I also had 5 Harlequin Rasboras, a neon tetra survivor, and a nertite snail.
My Betta would hide behind the plants all day except for feeding time.

I decided to get him his own tank..a 5 gallon Aqua Culture tank with an internal filter. My Betta now is out and about most of the day. He is much happier in his own tank and even is making a bubble nest which he never did in the 10 gallon community tank. The Aqua Culture 5 gallon tank is available at Walmart for about $30 with filter, hood and led light.

my Betta fish is pretty nice and doesnā€™t chase any of my ghost shrimp in my tank though he is curious. Iā€™m just wondering if there is any other fish I can put with my Betta (I have a 20 gallon long). Right now I have a Betta and 5 ghost shrimp.
Betta doesn't like nor need the company of other fish. Their lack of friends does not cause them to become bored, but you may include certain species in the same tank as your betta.
Neon tetras can be a great addition to your tank and a great tank mate for your betta. If you plan on adding neon tetras to your tank you're going to need at least 6, but 10-12 is the ideal amount. At 10-12 their stress levels will be minimal as they'll be in a good size school.

Betta doesn't like nor need the company of other fish. Their lack of friends does not cause them to become bored, but you may include certain species in the same tank as your betta.
Neon tetras can be a great addition to your tank and a great tank mate for your betta. If you plan on adding neon tetras to your tank you're going to need at least 6, but 10-12 is the ideal amount. At 10-12 their stress levels will be minimal as they'll be in a good size school.

Neon tetras are one of the fish you should never include with a male Betta. The bright colour of the neons can really inflame a Betta. Any small fish can do this as well of course, which is why a male betta really needs to be on its own. Risking any other fish is only being cruel to the fish.

Yeah, I know all that. I just got my cory catfish my betta just ignores them. If my betta does something I have a plan B

Most reactions

trending

Back