Fish tank stand causes cancer?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cajungirl0487

Reaction score
I didn't know where to post this question, sorry if it's in the wrong category! When I bought my aquarium stand, which is a standard black aquarium stand that you usually buy/comes with an aquarium, it said according to the state of California that the stand could cause cancer... then I noticed on my fish medication (Pimafix & Melafix) it said the same thing. Is this true? Can my aquarium stand give me cancer?

I bought my aquarium & stand together at PetSmart, it is made by MarineLand & it's a 46 gallon bow front.

Last edited:
What is the stand made out of?
If it's particle board (little bits of wood glued together), the glue can poison you if you inhale the dust when it is cut, but apart from that it is safe to handle and won't cause cancer unless you inhale or ingest it.

Melafix contains tea tree oils, which is from an Australian native tree. They are poisonous if ingested but I have not heard of them being carcinogenic (causing cancer). People actually use tea tree oil in boiling water and inhale the fumes to open their sinuses and make it easier to breath when they have a stuffed up nose.

Pimafix contains Pimenta racemosa (Bay or Bay Rum oil), which comes from the Bay tree and is used in cooking.

Unless you ingest large doses of these products, I highly doubt you will get cancer from handling them. You are more likely to throw them back up because they don't taste nice.

California might be playing the cautionary card and saying they might cause cancer. Governments sometimes do this when a new product comes onto the market and hasn't been tested thoroughly yet. It covers their butt if someone does get cancer from it.

I used Melafix and Pimafix back in the early 90s when I was in the pet shop and whilst my lungs are stuffed from asbestos and herbicide, I don't have any issues caused by handling fish medications, and I handled Malachite Green and Formaldehyde with bare hands.

On a side note, I found Melafix and Pimafix didn't do much to cure diseases. I prefer lots of big water changes and salt (sodium chloride).

Everything is known to cause cancer in California.
Better to be safe than sorry :)

Governments around the world need to ban roundup (a herbicide made from Glyphosate). It causes cancer but kids can buy it off the shelf at any supermarket, hardware or nursery. How stupid is that.

Cigarettes are another one that annoys me. Governments spend millions on advertising saying its bad and causes cancer, but they refuse to ban it.

----------------------
Off the cancer topic for a moment, I got done for driving too slowly out in the country, I was doing 80kph in a 110kph zone. We have huge signs on the side of the roads saying "Drop 5, save lives", "Slow down", "Drive safe" etc. The medical fraternity is always going on about slowing down and reducing speed limits. The government advertises on television saying "Slow down on the roads". Yet as soon as someone actually slows down, the cops give you a hard time.

I spent 30 minutes arguing with the cops and saying "I will see you in court then", in relation to them trying to give me a ticket for driving too slowly in the country. Eventually they gave up and left. They would have lost in court, but they still gave it a good try.

Everything is known to cause cancer in California.
Literally, on pretty much anything metal you buy, it will say "This product is known in the state of California to cause cancer, or birth defects...." Why is it always California? :dunno:

Better to be safe than sorry :)

Governments around the world need to ban roundup (a herbicide made from Glyphosate). It causes cancer but kids can buy it off the shelf at any supermarket, hardware or nursery. How stupid is that.

Cigarettes are another one that annoys me. Governments spend millions on advertising saying its bad and causes cancer, but they refuse to ban it.

----------------------
Off the cancer topic for a moment, I got done for driving too slowly out in the country, I was doing 80kph in a 110kph zone. We have huge signs on the side of the roads saying "Drop 5, save lives", "Slow down", "Drive safe" etc. The medical fraternity is always going on about slowing down and reducing speed limits. The government advertises on television saying "Slow down on the roads". Yet as soon as someone actually slows down, the cops give you a hard time.

I spent 30 minutes arguing with the cops and saying "I will see you in court then", in relation to them trying to give me a ticket for driving too slowly in the country. Eventually they gave up and left. They would have lost in court, but they still gave it a good try.
In the good old USA our greedy politicians are addicted to the cigarette tax money they are raking in. And cops? I once wanted to be a cop but they found out I graduated from high school and that overqualified me.

You can only get Cancer from them if you live in California. They are trying to make excuses for why they are all brain damaged. My family lives there and they are a bunch of nuts. State is broke and economy failing. Last one out of Cali, please turn off the lights. Lol!

My cousin does........

He moved from Los Gatos to San Jose when he retired.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back