Fish Tank Next To Radiator?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jiffy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm moving and need to find a place to put my fish tank. The best location seems to be next to a radiator, although I'm, not sure if that is a bad idea...

The tank would be above the height of the radiator, not like right on the floor next to it, but next to it none the less.

Is this a bad idea?

There are three places where it is suggested 'not' to put tanks. Directly in front of windows, in busy walk thru areas and next to radiators. I'm guessing because it will be difficult to maintain the correct temperature of the tank. However if you have no other place to put it then I'd guess as long as it was above the height of the radiator but to the side of it, not directly in front of it, wouldn't be so bad.

I think it depends on the size of the tank. I have a 70G right next to a radiator (which in my view is probably cooler than right above it since the heat rises). It was the only place to put it, and I turned the radiator off permanently. In the dead of winter last year though I turned the radiator on because the room was fecking freezing, and monitored the tank closely. It took over an hour to have any effect at all, and never did the temperature rise too high, even after hours of the radiator being on. In fact, it did mean the heaters didn't have to work 100% of the time which they both practically were, and probably saved electricity.

If you're talking anywhere under 50G though, it's a really bad idea I reckon. If you aren't prepared to be very diligent when the heating is on, have total control over when your heating is on and how high it is on, and be prepared to move the tank or never use the radiator again, I wouldn't even try it. You could very easily fry your fish.

Its a relatively small tank, 30 gallons so it sounds like a good enough reason for me to NOT put it there. I don't want my fish to fry, or have to worry about the possibility of it happening.

Thanks for the input.

If you want it infront of a radiator, simply turn said radiator off permenantly....having said that generally radiators are bad for fish tanks ;)

Slightly OT, but plan B:

would it be safe to put a TV next to a radiator?

TV's get hot anyway! close but not touching would be ok (TV not the tank :) )

Look at this pic of my tank in front of my radiator.

newtank1.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back