Fish Suggestions?

Lisa1981

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Falkirk, Scotland
I know this question gets asked all the time but I'm really stuck for ideas for which fish to get for my 180l planted tank. Its been cycled and I added my first 3 fish (speckled mollies) last week but no idea what to get next. I like Tiger Barbs but see these can be fin nippers so not sure about them. Would like a centre piece fish and was thinking about Bush fish (Ctenopoma acutirostre) but not sure as I know these will eat small fish. Would they eat the mollies? Or is it really just small fish like neons, etc?

I'd also like a plec of sorts but something relatively colourful. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
 
golden marbled angels
in love with my pairs :) (:
opalines are beautiful gouramis that are pretty damn hard to kill
a pair of blue rams
discuss

Taken from http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Ctenopoma_acutirostre.php


The Ctenopoma acutirostre needs plenty of room to hide out and live happily. They are carnivorous fish who love to stalk their prey, holding themselves completely vertical, bending their caudal fin to look "leaf like" before going in for a kill. Instantaneously before a kill, the Ctenopoma opens its mouth creating a cylinder type funnel and swallows the prey whole. Feedings should be various and should always include some sort of "live" food (frozen included). Favorites are feeder guppies, live/frozen brine shrimp, tubefex worms and mollusks. Often general tropical fish flake food and pellets are accepted as supplements. If these fish are given the listed diet and proper space, they will often grow to 1/2 their adult size with in 2-3 months.

These fish must have generous sources of hiding spots in driftwood, cavernous rocks and the like to be able to rest and lurk. Being nocturnal fishes (hence the large eyes) they enjoy a very densely planted tank in which to slide amongst the shadows. They are semi-aggressive, but can be good tank mates with other fish as long as the Ctenopoma has plenty of its own private caves/crevices which it will guard diligently. As well, tank mates should be larger than the Ctenopoma or else they will most certainly become a meal. The Ctenopoma does best with other fish who have mild temperaments, as this fish will fight when challenged.

Sexing can be difficult, but males display short spines on the gill covers which the females do not. Breeding has been obtained with moderate skill - but personally I have yet to attempt. The tank should be well planted and large and the temperature should be increased to at least 26°C. Water should be very soft and slightly acidic. The fish are bubble nest builders, but are not diligent parents and should be removed after spawning. Fry take typical foods including green water, fry "starter foods" and then should be moved on to live food such as live brine shrimp.

This fish has truly been an exciting venture for me. She is with out a doubt my favorite fish amongst all my marine and freshwater tanks. Being a relatively rare fish, I wasn't able to glean a lot of information from the web/books. Much of what I have learned has been from trial and error. My Ctenopoma is slightly camera shy, and truly finds her joy in hiding in her selected driftwood and stalking little feeder guppies.
 
you have to have at least 18 inches deep of water for angels , thats why i havent got them in my rio 180 so unless it's deep then angels are out of the question

Honey gouramis look nice
 
goo point min are in an 20 inch but gravel is up to 1 inch and the water doesnt quite reach the top
 
I like Tiger Barbs but see these can be fin nippers so not sure about them.

If you like Tiger Barbs, check out the Pentazona Barb. They look very similar (however a little more washed out than a Tiger Barb IMO), but are much more peaceful. I have 9 Tiger Barbs in my 29 Gallon and I was worried about potential tank mates, however they have done great with my Platies.
 
Today I added 2 small Leopard Climbing Parch (Ctenpoma Acutirostre), 5 small Tiger Barbs (Barbus Tertazona) and 1 Zebra Loach (Botia Stiata). Tomorrow I need to go back and get at least one other Zebra Loach but possibly more if I can fit them in. Can I? Or am I already full? I'd be greatful for any advise.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top