fish stuck in another fish mouth

Ellerocks

Reaction score
My fish has had a cory cat in its mouth for 2 days now, I tried to pull it out but its stuck, I don't want to yank because of the spines of the cory cat. and obviously fish cant seem to swallow it or spit it out, she did this a month ago and spit out that one within hours, well this time its alot longer, I don't know what to do without hurting her. Anyone know what to do that is successful? not much of the tail is sticking out so nothing really to grab onto.

i only have one aquarium, i just went and got another one but a little to late I guess. Mind you now i only have one left and they dont like to be alone, so going to buy more when i get the other tank set up. But the other fish is a black moor gold fish

i only have one aquarium, i just went and got another one but a little to late I guess. Mind you now i only have one left and they dont like to be alone, so going to buy more when i get the other tank set up. But the other fish is a black moor gold fish
What do you only have one left of, cories?
Cories are a tropical species and need a heater, while black moors are a coldwater species, they really shouldn't be in the same tank. Please don't get more unless you're prepared to keep them at the right temperature, and away from goldfish.

Poor little cories :( I hope you don't lose your goldfish too.

Cories have barbs at the top of the dorsal fin, and the edges of their pectoral fins. A defence against being eaten. I'm guessing that's how this one is stuck. Best suggestion I have is to remove the goldfish and place it down on a towel, move the cory forward enough to unstick the barbs, and fold them closed against the cories body to remove it.

But how easy that will be to do, and whether your goldfish will survive, I can't tell you. Would be best to use salt water treatment once the cory is removed to try to minimise secondary infections setting in from the wounds, but that could also severely stress or kill the remaining cory. If you can rehome or return that cory, that would be best.

I’d be fuming I’d leave the greedy poo to die choke on your meal , how big is this gold fish , as I have 6inch plus cichlids that live with 1inch corys no hassle , what a mean goldy

I’d be fuming I’d leave the greedy poo to die choke on your meal , how big is this gold fish , as I have 6inch plus cichlids that live with 1inch corys no hassle , what a mean goldy
I mean, it's a fish. And no offence to goldfish lovers - but not the brightest of fish either. They eat anything they can fit in their mouths and catch... it's stupid, not malicious.

btw it was a pet store that suggested the cory in the first place, said they would do well together. Guess they were wrong. so i just called a pet store that specializes in fish, and he told me how to get the cory out. So i have removed it, and i am going to take the other cory to the pet store as it seems very depressed being alone.

btw it was a pet store that suggested the cory in the first place, said they would do well together. Guess they were wrong. so i just called a pet store that specializes in fish, and he told me how to get the cory out. So i have removed it, and i am going to take the other cory to the pet store as it seems very depressed being alone.
Ah, sadly a lot of people learn the hard way that a lot of pet stores don't know much about the fish they're selling. Especially when trying to make a sale...

I'm sorry you learned that lesson this way, horrible to see your pets getting eaten! Hope the black moor survives. For the future, Seriously Fish and Wet Web Media are fantastic, reliable sources for fish information, always worth checking species requirement on those sites before buying :)

Glad you got the cory removed.

NEVER listen to the advice of a fish store employee, they are there to make $, and most of the time, they have no clue on how to properly care for fish (and other critters, for that matter).

Not so much mean as it is just... What goldfish do. And leaving your fish to die just because of stupidity is pretty cruel.

Good job getting the catfish out.

Out of curiosity, how did you get it out of the goldfish's mouth?

Most reactions

Back