Fish stocking help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Maybe think about the betta in the 6g and hold off on the Puffer?
What size again for biorb? Certainly we can offer other options if we knew the size; even if you dont want shrimp!
So the BiOrb is 30L (6.5 gallons) and Iā€™m thinking about Betta in there and rectangle is 25L (5.4 gallons) which Iā€™m thinking about putting one pea puffer in hope that clears things up :)

Did you watch the short video? Make sure you are willing to keep Puffer alone, go the extra mile to get frozen food, snails, etc?

How big is biorb again, I'm not clear...
The BiOrb is 30L and I already have a 200L tank so I already have frozen bloodworm in Yes I watched it and afterwards Iā€™m thinking otherwise about the puffer now as either tanks arenā€™t suitable and it isnā€™t fair for the fish so does anyone have any ideas for stocking a 30L BiOrb and a 25L rectangle tank I would like a Betta in one of them but not sure which is best for the fish :)

Last edited:
Thanks @fishbfor the video!
Betta in the rectangle, for sure, is what I would do.

Biorb; maybe post a more specific thread asking about stocking that. Certainly someone else will have input.
I bet that will end up being a beautiful tank!

There are electric blue lobsters and such other Dwarf lobsters like the one @NCaquatics has. Also, how hard is it to maintain a tank like that as far as access?

The BiOrb is 30L and I already have a 200L tank so I already have frozen bloodworm in Yes I watched it and afterwards Iā€™m thinking otherwise about the puffer now as I know they like a lot of space and 5 gallons (25L) isnā€™t a lot of space and they are very small and I may get bored of just one tiny fish in a tank I know I canā€™t have a lot of fish in that tank but I just think that one pea puffer might be a waste of the tank
Thanks @fishbfor the video!
Betta in the rectangle, for sure, is what I would do.

Biorb; maybe post a more specific thread asking about stocking that. Certainly someone else will have input.
I bet that will end up being a beautiful tank!

There are electric blue lobsters and pygmy corys. Also, how hard is it to maintain a tank like that as far as access?
yes Betta in rectangle sound better to me aswell thinking livebearers in BiOrb guppies swordtails e.g but not sure how many and I donā€™t want to overstock cleaning wise it is so easy to scratch the acrillic and the tube in the middle is hard to clean aswell as the rocks at the bottom but apart from that itā€™s ok :)

yes Betta in rectangle sound better to me aswell thinking livebearers in BiOrb guppies swordtails e.g but not sure how many and I donā€™t want to overstock cleaning wise it is so easy to scratch the acrillic and the tube in the middle is hard to clean aswell as the rocks at the bottom but apart from that itā€™s ok :)
Endlers are tiny and colorful, see if anyone will weigh in on that. All males if you don't fry everywhere.
I've no experience with those but i thing those are better suited than guppies.

Don't forget to post water specifics to see if they work. You probably know that.

Endlers are tiny and colorful, see if anyone will weigh in on that. All males if you don't fry everywhere.
I've no experience with those but i thing those are better suited than guppies.

Don't forget to post water specifics to see if they work. You probably know that.
Here are my tank specifications for the BiOrb
pH : 6.4
Carbonate hardness: innbertween 3 and 6
Chlorine :0
No heater on yet but I have one ready as I am 90% sure I want tropical fish and I will keep the temperature at whatever is needed for those fish

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 41
Iā€™m not finished decorating yet I would like to add lots of live plants but here is just an idea of what it looks like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 42
So the BiOrb is 30L (6.5 gallons) and Iā€™m thinking about Betta in there and rectangle is 25L (5.4 gallons) which Iā€™m thinking about putting one pea puffer in hope that clears things up
Your gallons are imperial gallons and in fishkeeping it's always US gallons, so your 30 litre biorb is 7.9 gallons and the 25 litre tank is 6.9 gallons.

You don't mention GH but it is less than 6 in the photo of the test strip. Pea/dwarf puffers need a GH between 5 and 25 dH, so depending just how much below 6 dH your water is it might not be suitable for a pea puffer. Have you looked on your water company's website to find your tap water hardness? You need a number and the unit of measurement. Once you find that, you'll know whether a puffer is an option or not.

Shrimps with a betta were asked about earlier. It depends on the betta. Some will eat shrimps, others will ignore them but you'll only know which type after you try them together and it could prove to be an expensive betta snack.

Iā€™m not finished decorating yet I would like to add lots of live plants but here is just an idea of what it looks like
This rectangle looks great for a betta!
I agree with @essjay the betta will most likely munch on shrimp.
The best friend for a betta is a Nerite snail.
I got a Mystery snail for one of my betta but the size and waving feelers I think threatened my betta and... : (
The Nerite snail is a perfect snail for betta.

Maybe get that going with the plants and everything and enjoy that for a little bit and come back to the biorb after you explore all our options? Just a suggestion ā™”

Your gallons are imperial gallons and in fishkeeping it's always US gallons, so your 30 litre biorb is 7.9 gallons and the 25 litre tank is 6.9 gallons.

You don't mention GH but it is less than 6 in the photo of the test strip. Pea/dwarf puffers need a GH between 5 and 25 dH, so depending just how much below 6 dH your water is it might not be suitable for a pea puffer. Have you looked on your water company's website to find your tap water hardness? You need a number and the unit of measurement. Once you find that, you'll know whether a puffer is an option or not.

Shrimps with a betta were asked about earlier. It depends on the betta. Some will eat shrimps, others will ignore them but you'll only know which type after you try them together and it could prove to be an expensive betta snack.
Ok I have now decided otherwise with the pea puffers but I am thinking Betta in 25L rectangle and maybe try some shrimp as for the BiOrb I might sell it and get a new tank as the design isnā€™t great for fish but I donā€™t know yet
I will have a look at my water company and get some numbers on my water thank you for the suggestion :)

This rectangle looks great for a betta!
I agree with @essjay the betta will most likely munch on shrimp.
The best friend for a betta is a Nerite snail.
I got a Mystery snail for one of my betta but the size and waving feelers I think threatened my betta and... : (
The Nerite snail is a perfect snail for betta.

Maybe get that going with the plants and everything and enjoy that for a little bit and come back to the biorb after you explore all our options? Just a suggestion ā™”
Sound like a good idea I only got the rectangle on Saturday so need to cycle it and I got the BiOrb back up and running on Sunday but like you said I will leave it and come back to it in a few weeks thank you :)

Sound like a good idea I only got the rectangle on Saturday so need to cycle it and I got the BiOrb back up and running on Sunday but like you said I will leave it and come back to it in a few weeks thank you :)
That sounds great!
There is a thread on here for posting pictures of just betta if you want to look at different kind or maybe you've picked one out already? Either way I'm sure everyone will want to see pictures!

That sounds great!
There is a thread on here for posting pictures of just betta if you want to look at different kind or maybe you've picked one out already? Either way I'm sure everyone will want to see pictures!
Thank you I will have a look and see which I like :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back