Fish Sleeping?

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
I was just wondering, how do fish regain their strength?

Do they really sleep?

What do they do?

Thanks!
-FHM
 
i dont know but thats exactly wat i was thinking last night when i walked in and my fish where resting on the bottom of the tank
 
I believe fish sleep, or do something really similar. Take a look at your tank once the lights have been out for a hour. The fish are funky. They go pale, either rest at the bottom or at the top of the tank. There is not a whole lot of swimming going on. Alot of mine seem to loose there vision at night. The will be right up against the glass and won't respond to any hand movements or me touching the glass. Fish resting at the top of the water have really subdued responses if you touch them.

Overall at night they seem to lose perception of their surrounding, why I'm not really sure. I've always thought of it as a means of sleep or a time with a decrease in brain activity.
 
Yeah, they definitely have decreased brain activity as they rest/sleep, or whatever they are doing. If I were to turn the lights on during the night, it takes them like 5-10 min before they really start to move about the tank.

-FHM
 
well, everything sleeps. ^ ^. Can't live 15 straight years without sleeping ; ). But i agree that they are there somehow, like unconciously keeping their fins moving.
 
Yeah, that's what I mean. Its not like they actually lay on their sides, they are still up right.

Well, I think it is the HindBrain, if memory serves my right, that keeps track of your body functions, without you knowing about it. Like all of our organs working and what not, something has to control it, and I also think it is the HindBrain that keeps control/awareness of our bodies posistion, and that is maybe what keeps them up.

Maybe their HindBrain is still somewhat active, just to the point to keep their body up right during sleep.

-FHM
 
I just got some pencilfish the other day and 5 mins after lights out they are all up at the top of the water line very pale and not really moving at all.

My black skirt and phantoms tetras just float around in the dark very slowly and when you turn the lights back on suddenly they act very drunk almost bashing into things so I guess there sight is comprimised during lights out.
 
The cerebellum often called the little brain. It's responsible for our perception, coordination and motor control. However not balance..... for people our sense of balance actually comes from our inner ear. I'm not sure how it would work for fish....
 
clown loaches lay upside down and on their sides so you can easily tell theyre sleeping:) always gave me a fright when i had one thinking it was dead all the time.
 
So, we have came to the conclusion, or at least close to it.

That the fishes brain is inactive during sleep, but they keep themselves balanced, via their swim bladder, which is active even when the brains activity has decreased at night.

How does this sound?

-FHM
 
That the fishes brain is inactive during sleep, but they keep themselves balanced, via their swim bladder, which is active even when the brains activity has decreased at night.

A bit like us when we sleep (minus the swim bladder and fins lol)? I once heard some fish sleep one half of their brains at a time and thus retain a certain level of consciousness.
 
That the fishes brain is inactive during sleep, but they keep themselves balanced, via their swim bladder, which is active even when the brains activity has decreased at night.

A bit like us when we sleep (minus the swim bladder and fins lol)? I once heard some fish sleep one half of their brains at a time and thus retain a certain level of consciousness.



That would make sense, that way they can still maintain balance and what not during sleep.

Fascinating little creatures aren't they...lol.

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top