Fish rumours

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Y2J said:
I hate the euthanasia thread and dont believe anyone has the right to end a fishes life if its in pain or not. If it asked then maybe but they will have to learn to talk first. If we got cancer or something which would give us a few months to live, i for one would like these months to live as much as possible and then die. What i wouldnt like is for someone to make the decision for me. Just because have a level of pain to deal with doesnt mean living still isnt worthwhile.
I don't know that I could euthanize a sick fish. Maybe if it was injured to the point that I knew it was hopeless and I coould definitely tell it was in serious pain I would but probably not for a disease. I'd just try to isolate it and make it as comfortable as possible.

Yea.. I'm not sure about that euthanasia article.

First of all, we can never be sure of how another animal percieves pain - especially one who is so physiologically different than we are. I'm also of the opinion that euthanasia is partly for the HUMAN'S sake. In nature there is no euthanasia, an animal with a debilitating disease or injury will go on living until it is killed by natural means. It's hard for humans to watch because we sympathize and anthropomorhpize. I'm not saying you should never euthanize, I'm just saying that there are a bunch of other factors involved. And honestly it's easier for ME to put a fish in a freezer than it is for me to chop its head off or squish its brains out.

pcam86 said:
I know sharks would drown if they werepulled backwards because they have to keep moving forwards but i've never heard that with normal fish.
My RTB shark is always swimming backwards, they dont drown from swimming backwards...

Now think of it this way, us human dive under water, what do we do to stop us from drowning........ We hold our breath, so do you come to think that fish do the same, watch carefully mates, when a fish moves backwards, they either close their gills, or they move a little breath, then move a little more before breathing again, they do not breath normally when they move backwards, plus also it be very daft to think that they would drown themselves from swimming backwards, because think of the millions of fish that would die because they took the wrong turn and the only way out was backwards

;)

Zenn said:
pcam86 said:
I know sharks would drown if they werepulled backwards because they have to keep moving forwards but i've never heard that with normal fish.
My RTB shark is always swimming backwards, they dont drown from swimming backwards...
I believe pcam was refering to real sharks,
such as great white / tiger sharks etc.
not fish that happen to have a shark shape :p

. In nature there is no euthanasia, an animal with a debilitating disease or injury will go on living until it is killed by natural means.
The difference is that in the wild an animal with a debilitating disease or injury will be quickly killed by predators etc.

Acceptable methods for euthanasia (although it is directed at experimental animals):
http://www.lal.org.uk/pdffiles/LA1.pdf

Ed4567 said:
. In nature there is no euthanasia, an animal with a debilitating disease or injury will go on living until it is killed by natural means.
The difference is that in the wild an animal with a debilitating disease or injury will be quickly killed by predators etc.
I think this is the key. They would probably be killed in a very short period of time whereas in our tanks they can languish around for quite some time. I do indeed hate to see any animal suffer.

Most reactions

Back