Fish/reef Safe Grease

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

AK77

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there is a reef/fish safe grease that I can use? I need to grease a seal/thread to make it a bit easier to move. I know silicone grease is used in plumbing but am wondering about livestock reaction to it, if the water came into contact with it?

Cheers,

AK

I use Vaseline on my seals. I sure hope no one comes back and says that is no okay. I use it in on my skimmer seals.

well, vasaline is petrolium jelly a by product of oil - sounds awful doesn't it, I wonder if it is?

Seffie x

:fish:

just did a quick google and found this comment by Zenagin:

Vaselines dissolves plastics/rubbers that are latex based, styrene based and others - typically at a rather slow pace. It isn't recommended as a good lubricant for use with condoms for example, as it tends to eat through latex probably the quickest. It will also dissolve dried rubber cement if allowed time to soak into it. None the less, there are numerous plastics and rubbers upon which vaseline will have no harmful effect as well (such as the plastic used to package it in). Experiment a bit and then you too can then see the wonders of vaseline eating through plastic or rubber.

Please don't be confused. There are many things we may never see, but that actually do exist.

Ultimately, it should be reasonable to conclude that the following advice is sound: Use vaseline on your O-ring or use a silicone based lubricant. Either will probably suffice nicely without destroying the equipment.

---------------------------------------

I use Vaseline on my seals. I sure hope no one comes back and says that is no okay. I use it in on my skimmer seals.

well, vasaline is petrolium jelly a by product of oil - sounds awful doesn't it, I wonder if it is?

Seffie x

:fish:
ive always wondered this too...i use vaseline on all my seals but water is denser than vaseline and the vaseline will sit on the surface...but it wont mix with water as an emulsifier is needed, but then again it will slow down gaseous exchange

Yeah, I thought silicone grease would be the most likely option. I knew there were food safe versions, but I'm just wondering if there is any chance of it reacting badly with any tank inhabitants?

Little late on this reply but yes, silicone grease is fine to work with :)

Most reactions

Back