Fish rack - pros and cons?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

squidneh

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting this rack to house tanks on as a way to save space and be able to have multiple tanks in my new apartment (which is in a basement so weight is not an issue as far as the floor goes).

The biggest concern I have is height between the shelves, as I will of course have to get into the tanks for maintenance, although I imagine I don't technically need all the much room to be able to get my siphon/arm into the tank as needed. The spacing between the shelves is adjustable so I should be able to make it work as I need to. The "normal" way works out to 18 inches between the shelves and I think I need at least 6 inches beyond the height of the tank to be able to accomodate lighting and getting into the tanks.

The weight capacity for each shelf is 800lbs, which I wouldn't be getting near as a 40 gallon breeder tank would be the largest I would put on it, if I even did that. I would likely get some of those decorative cube things and use the bottom shelf for storage of supplies/equipment as I wouldn't want a tank at ground level. And probably leave the very top shelf empty or put decorations up there as it will be too tall to easily perform maintenance on I imagine. Although I may need to get a stool for maintenance either way.

If I go this route I would be wanting to fit my 20g long, either another 20g long or a 40g breeder, and two 5 gallon betta tanks on it. I wonder if I might even need 2 of these racks to make that work, in order to have space for lighting and to get in for maintenance...and at that point it may not serve the main ourpose I'm interested in it for, which is saving space. Or perhaps I'm over thinking it/being picky, as I have seen a few of these set ups so I know that people somehow make it work.

My fiance is worried about it looking too industrial/"making our living room look like a fish store" lol.

Do any of you have a set up using one of these types or racks, or have used one in the past? Anyone think of any pros/cons I might be missing? Things to consider?

only cons i can think of you already touched on is just being able to get your arms in there especially top shelf, and then it looking a bit industrial like your girlfriend mentioned which really is a matter of personal aesthetic.
Personally i dont like stacked tanks too much trouble getting in and around them for maintenance.
To each their own though, good luck!

Yes, I agree with Utahfish.
You have to adjust the in between height to suit your tank maintenance works.

In term of aesthetic, it doesn't look good.
Personally, I prefer a tank with a cabinet below or at the most a two tiers rack for aesthetic reasons.

Another aspect is the weight limit.
Can the rack withstand all the weight of the tanks?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back