Fish Of The Week - Rabbitfish

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
Fish of the week

Rabbitfish

I wonder why Rabbitfish are so under represented in our tanks, when many are reef safe and get rid of nuisance algae for us?

So, roll up, roll up - who has experiences and photos to share

Here is my baby, a Foxface.

IMG_0853.jpg

I love this fish, it is a very mis understood fish, it does have venomous spines but it is not a predator, it is Herbivorous fish and will pick at mirco algae all day long, mine also eats krill, brine and mysis shrimp. It is very active and can be seen swimming around. They are best kept on their own in a tank of 70g or more, they are classed as reef safe with care, mine doesn't touch any of my soft corals at all. They do have an alarming habit of turning a muddy brown colour every now and again, this is perfectly natural, mine sleeps tucked behind my heater and it turns a horrible colour!!!!!

ooohhh I love foxface :D

hey seffie, how about putting rabbitfish in the title? Then when it gets pinned in the fish of the week section it'll be a quick reference for someone looking through it :)

hey seffie, how about putting rabbitfish in the title? Then when it gets pinned in the fish of the week section it'll be a quick reference for someone looking through it :)

whoops how the heck did I leave it out :blush:

Seffie x

I have a fox face at the moment and I find these to be great fish, they like a bit of space and can be really shy at first, and when you go near their tank they tend to change colour rapidly and sulk like a teenage boy.
After a few weeks though they end up being really lovely and mine even eats out of my hand, he gets marine green frozen food and picks at algae and stuff. They are safe with much smaller and slower fish, just dont put them with anything too big and bossy as they dont hold up well to competition.

One spot foxface rabbitfish.

One of the best fish I have kept.
It has always proven to be hardy, coping with introduction well and even through a disease outbrake.
Somewhat shy when first introduced and even now when there are sudden moves he will dash behind the rocks.
A very big fan and greedy eater of algea sheets are frozen veggie diet, I like to feed him this becasue it keeps him in his lovely yellow colour.
When stressed, they can change colour rappidly to a dark brown mottled colour and patter, they also do this at night.
Does not harras other fish species, even smaller fish like my sixline wrasse, though may be quarlesome with own species.
A great fish for the begginer and advaced aquarist, growing to a decent size, mine is curently about 6.5 inches long! Just watch out when netting and handeling. This fish has venomous spines which can give a nasty sting (though it does not make a point of stinging its keeper when hands are in the tank so dont worry) and the spines are easily caught in nets and can pierce fish bags.
A great character. When I had my velvet wrasse, it would follow the wrasse around the tank no end, a very funny and pleasing relationship, but maybe not for the wrasse :rolleyes:
On the whole, a great addition and are even reef safe. Great for eating undesirable algea, but some reports say they might nip corals.

josh

i'm probably wrong, but i remember once reading that the rabbitfish is venomous. is that so?

( i have freshwater and i no almost nothing about salt)

I have rabbits I suppose I could throw them in my tank and see what happens.

Most reactions

Back