Fish Of The Week - Dartfish

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
Fish of the week

Dartfish

A firm favourite for most people,

Lets hear your experiences and please do

share your photos

I have a purple fire fish, Looks great and is a nice addition to the my tank. Really friendly, originally was always out swimming about, now its settled down it has its cave and has shifted abit of sand to how he/she wants it. It is in there for 50% of the time the lights are on and always in there when the lights are off. When ever i approach the tank it comes out and hangs around the toadstool.

The purple has came though alot stronger (pictures where tanken within a few days of adding it)
P1040219.jpg

P1040222.jpg

chris

Really good photos, thanks - think they show just why they are so popular :good:

Seffie x

Now I know many of you have these little darlings, so where are you photos and hints/tips

Seffie x

I have had a couple of these guys. Very pretty fish but not one I would recommend if you want an active fish you are going to see all the time.

I have had a red and a purple one, both behave exactly the same way. Unfortunately I lost both of them (had each for maybe just over a year) for no known reason (they where there one day, gone the next). Also these fish WILL jump so a cover over your tank is a must.

Some people say you should keep these as a pair or in a group, others say a group will fight and you need to keep only one. Personally I have only ever kept one at a time.

They are generally easy to feed and will take everything from flake to frozen and live foods.

I have found with mine they tend to stay very close to their "home" (they tend to pick a hole in the rockwork, normally close to the substrate). My first firefish picked a hole at the back of the tank so I only ever saw it when I fed them.

My second fire fish in its first tank (150l) was very active and often swimming openly in the water column. However after we moved I upgraded to a 100g tank and it was never the same after that. It would spend most of its time in the rockwork and rarely come out into the open. After a few months he suddenly just died.

Photos:
IMG_3672.jpg

firefish2bf1.jpg

firefish3ob2.jpg

firefish1tv5.jpg

yeah just got one and hes really neat, like barney said he picked a hole in the rocks with substrate :lol:

after acclimation he is out all the time but hides from anyone except me,i think its cuz i feed him lol

he did get in a fight with the clowns and has had a slight tear on his back fin but its healed up now.

also they might seem as white and red far away but get up close and they have beautiful yellows and purple spots around the facial area, and mine has turqouise stripes along the top and bottom (cant remember what they're called lol someone tell me :p ) fins.

ive heard that they can be together when they are juvies but if kept together should be in true pairs

AFAIK they have never been bred in captivity

IMG_0510.jpg

here is mine. nice fish. it gets scared when the clowns go near it but it fine. when i get my new fish the clowns will be less interested in him/she
DSCF2783.jpg

heres mine, likes to mingle with his tankmates, 2 clowns a chromi and a wrasse. i put a blennie in last week and it disappeared until i removed it. the blennie had a damaged mouth that i didnt notice in the lfs. probably for the best that i took him back.

PB100200.jpg

Most reactions

Back