Fish Meds

Miss M

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
2 quick questions: What medications do you keep on hand for the most common tropical fish illness?

(worms, fin rot, etc..)

I'd like to know what I should have on hand for my hospital tank:
I finally purchased one (5 gal platic container) with a heater and airstone. I tested the heater overnight and it's only keeping the water around 74/76 degrees. You can't set a temp on it. Will this be ok?

Thank you

Miss M

Most meds have an expiration date, which usually means after this date they are less effective. The best thing to keep on hand is a list of shops, their hours, and what meds they usually have on hand. This is one area where Wal-Mart is a good thing for aquatics, especially if you have a 24-hour one near by.

If you want to keep meds on hand, and don't mind them expiring and having to restock, Maracyn & Maracyn II will take care of most bacterial problems, a med with metronidazole, such as Hex-a-mit will take care of internal protizoans, Maroxy or a copper med will take care of fungus or ick. Of all of these the copper doesn't expire, this is one I keep on hand, and use in breeding. CopperSafe is a good med for this, I usually buy in bulk from a distributor, much cheaper than shop prices. These meds are the most commonly available ones in the US.

Besides copper sulfate pentahydrate, I keep meth blue, acriflavin, Maroxy, metro, and oxytetracycline hydrochloride which is a good antibiotic for most anything I have run across with angels.

I would get a better heater; some treatments require a higher temperature.

lol i keep Teatree oil and that's it, mind you i have never had to medicate for any illnesses.

Most reactions

Back