Fish Keeping - The Play

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gankutsuou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
There was a lad who started out like any other in the fish business. His parents let him have a 5 gallon tank, which he horibally overstocked with glow light tetras and zebra danios. To his dismay, and lack of understanding of the amonia cycle and danio's, the glowlites died down to 3.

Then he left for fall break. His brothers let his fish die. He left the murky tank for a miserable 3 weeks befre taking the net out to finally discard it. What was this? a live glowlite? Stuck in the net?

So the glowlite stuck in a bug carrier for 2 years, the smallest one. the one who had done the most to avoid death. 2 years went by. Then, one day, the boy had a dream. Walking through an endless expanse of tanks. This time, he set up a 10 gallon. The glo-lite went in with a betta at first, and then a shoal of cardinals and neons. Many deaths occured, including all but 2 cardinals, 1 neon, and the lowlite. Then, introduced, were mates who would be making the 38 gallon. these included 2 peacock eels and a senegal. The Cardinals and neons died. Then an african butterfly fish died four days after it was put in. a new betta lived in a 1 gallon tank.

And so, life went on. The 38 Finally set up, fully cycled after using 6 danios, whom were store reutned, the boy got a syno. feather cat, a 3rd eel, and a false flying fox to add to celebration But before that, a suprise discus had been set in. So the controversy began. Also, a twig catfish was added.

Now the twig catfish has been brutaly murdered, bloody all over. Who did it? No one knows. The boy had gone out for 20 minutes seeing the tatered condition to plant the 10 gallon. The discus had itch too, so it was of dire need. For when the boy had left out of that weekend, the filter stopped. Letting conditions worsen for the sensitive fish.

So an eel died. a discus is on the door step. the twig cat died.

Basically

My Twig cat got beat up to a pulp but not eaten
my eel has died
and now an unintended discus may as well.

I've been through a lot of mishaps in fish keeping. 2 years ago and now. but I'm a lot more educated, and this time ready to try and handle the situation.

I've set the 10 gallon to 82 degrees, planted it, let the discus in. The twig cat was alive when I left but dead when I got back. unfortunate. I will not get another.

The two most likely suspects are the senegal and the Syno. cat, but I'm placing my bets on the senegal since the twig spent all but it's last moments around the filter, up away from the syno's house.

Advice, anyone, on what to further do?

What to do? seriously?
Do not allow the boy in the story to keep fish for a good few years. Rehome the ones he has. Because he doesn't seem to see them as live animals.
However, if you trust him and know he is reformed, then at the very least, not add any more. Research the ones he has, and amend stocking occrdingly... easy things, like shoaling fish kept in shoals.
Appropriate space available for each fish, fish in tanks which match there needs re: water chemistry, lighting, temperature, flow rates, and decor.
If he really wants to keep his fish properly, he will be prepared to do this, even if it means the tanks don't look like he first hoped they would.

What to do? seriously?
Do not allow the boy in the story to keep fish for a good few years. Rehome the ones he has. Because he doesn't seem to see them as live animals.
However, if you trust him and know he is reformed, then at the very least, not add any more. Research the ones he has, and amend stocking occrdingly... easy things, like shoaling fish kept in shoals.
Appropriate space available for each fish, fish in tanks which match there needs re: water chemistry, lighting, temperature, flow rates, and decor.
If he really wants to keep his fish properly, he will be prepared to do this, even if it means the tanks don't look like he first hoped they would.

sounds about right.

Gankutsou, if youve learned so much you should be able to help "the boy" from what sounds like a bit of a disaster.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back