Fish Just Dropped Dead

dnn3

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
769
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
illinois
my oldest male swordtail just dropped dead today.one minute he was fine tormenting his girl and the next moment i looked over and he was dead.not laying on his side breathing hard,he was dead.when i took him out i looked him over and he had no marks or any discolorations so i'm confused.how does a fish just drop dead?
 
What are the water stats? Was anything added to the tank recently? What's your water changing schedule? Was he floating or at the bottom? Is there anything in the tank that could have fallen on him? Just how old was he?
 
He probably did have a heart attack. I had some guppies when i was younger, and we had this drop dead gorgeous male. Blue and green, and he was coutring a female ( i was young enough i thought they were "chasing" eachother) and the next second he was floating tot he top, in mid swim. Poor guy, im sorry for your loss.
 
Yes, I've had this happen too. Female Rainbow Praecox for me, swimming merrily one moment, next time I checked the tank she was dead. No marks, or signs of distress, disease or bullying, just as if she 'stopped'.
 
... and I had the same thing happen with a beautiful white male sailfin molly - excitedly chasing the female round the tank one minute - floating dead the next!! No illness, water stats perfect - he just dropped dead of excitement I think!

I guess it must happen.

Athena
 

Most reactions

Back
Top