Fish JUMPED out of my tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am absolutely furious with myself, I have had 4 dwarf pufferfish for about 6 months, and last night I did a water change. They were all absolutely fine after it I filled the water back up and put the lid back on but it turns out a corner of the glass was lifted just enough for a fish to jump out of, and somehow not one but TWO of my pufferfish jumped out of the tank. Why??? I never even used to put the lid on before and when thereā€™s a slight gap in the corner they jump out!! Iā€™m absolutely furious does anyone know if any other issues could have caused this?

Stress from the water change can cause fish to jump. Especially if the new water has a different chemistry (pH and GH) to the old water.

Someone might have startled the fish after the water change.

-------------
Tank lights going on or off suddenly can cause fish to jump out.
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Yeah the tank has 7 light settings so i slowly dim it on a night, and they jumped after the lights went off the last settings iā€™m guessing because I found them this morning. I hadnā€™t even turned their light on yet it doesnā€™t go on until midday. Unless something has happened to my tap water then water chemistry should just be the same. It seems wierd because if it wasnā€™t down to an issue this means they have been throwing themselves at the glass constantly hoping that one time the lid wonā€™t be there. Sorry iā€™m just quite upset about this because I did everything I could to give these fish the best life and the best tank I possibly could. And I am rewarded by them committing suicide! :-(

Last edited:
Aww.. I'm sorry for your loss... are they ok?

You may want to look into getting a lid. I know they can be expensive, so for now, just use plastic wrap with holes poked in them or some screen from a window.

Yeah the tank has 7 light settings so i slowly dim it on a night, and they jumped after the lights went off the last settings iā€™m guessing because I found them this morning. I hadnā€™t even turned their light on yet it doesnā€™t go on until midday. Unless something has happened to my tap water then water chemistry should just be the same. It seems wierd because if it wasnā€™t down to an issue this means they have been throwing themselves at the glass constantly hoping that one time the lid wonā€™t be there. Sorry iā€™m just quite upset about this because I did everything I could to give these fish the best life and the best tank I possibly could. And I am rewarded by them committing suicide! :-(

Yes, we all made mistakes in life.
Don't be too hard on yourself.

You can buy more fish to replace them...

Observe their behaviours and try to understand them as some fish will tend to jump.
Also, to play safe, I usually try not to put my water to the maximum level and ensure that the lid are always there.

As what Colin said, fish may jump when the lights are turn on or off.

Also, sometimes when the lights are turn off, they may fight or chase each other causing some of them to jump.

I guess your right. Just gonna miss my little pufferfish :(

Aww.. I'm sorry for your loss... are they ok?

You may want to look into getting a lid. I know they can be expensive, so for now, just use plastic wrap with holes poked in them or some screen from a window.
I have a piece of glass which sits on top but the corner was lifted, thatā€™s how they got out. Two are still alive and two have died :(

I have a piece of glass which sits on top but the corner was lifted, thatā€™s how they got out. Two are still alive and two have died :(
That's to bad...

Make sure to keep that lid on tight.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back