Fish Identification Asap Please!

Mara_bird

Reaction score
Last night at the pet store getting crickets and guppies my daughter fell in love with a small fish that was in the guppy tank. I found out that is was accidentally shipped with the guppies by the distributor, or hopped in from another tank.

Here is the best picture I can get. I know it's some type of bottom dweller, and I need to know what I should be feeding this guy. He has gone after a couple baby guppies, but I thin they may be too large for him. He has two large, separate dorsal fins like a Goby, but a small head in comparison to its body

My 3 year old had dubbed him "Tacky" =D

Attachments

• 100E2035.JPG
    100E2035.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 214
Brown darter.
He's wild caught and I'd be careful of diseases and parasites.

I was looking into Darters but the ones I was finding pictures of were brightly colored.

So what should I be feeding this?

I'm not worried about parasites, and I'll keep an eye on diseases. All that is in with it are feeder guppies and some ghost shrimp, things that my 3 year old wanted in her little tank.
Also, how large can these get? and where are they from?

Not sure where where their from I'm pretty sure they come from North America, not sure what to feed them, they prefer strong currents in the tank, I got one just, like that one with feeder guppies but it didn't survive the night. A place that sells darters is zimmermansfish.com they have some info on there I believe. That's all I know I hope I helped a little, the discoloration may be from stress mine was same color, the colors may be male mating colors or adult colors.

Yes, darters are from North America and some like slow water, but the brown darter does like some current in their tanks. They are actually pretty hard to feed from what I heard since they typically only eat live or frozen foods (but can be trained to flake or pellet with patience) and are bottom dwellers, meaning they might be the last to get the food. Yours might get a little bit of orange in it if it's a male, but typically they are only super colorful during breeding season. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back